Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ideal Thermostat

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jacob_coulter, Jul 27, 2005.

1. jacob_coulter

jacob_coulter Registered Member

Is a 160 deg. thermostat too "cold" for a non computer carbed 350 k5 blazer.

Would 180 degree be better? I live in AZ, 110 degrees in the shade.

Thanks

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Loaded question.

People run 160's, 180's, and 195's. Pro's and con's to all of them.

A lot of times a colder thermostat is used in an attempt to fix an overheating problem, which it will not.

I would guarantee that short of putting the engine on the dyno, the colder thermostat won't be noticed. Cool the intake off, fuel drops out of suspension in the intake at low engine RPM's, which doesn't help. Cooler intake charge makes power. Which wins out in the end? I doubt that's an answer that you can find without a dyno. Air-Gap intakes are a way to get a cooler intake charge, tests I've seen don't net you much at all, but at some point, cooler intake air DOES make more power.

Let the discussion begin lol.

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

With my personal experiences, i always ran a 180 in a carb'd engine, they seemed to run fine with them, i liked them, didn't like my engines running that warm to begin with, no problems with it.

Now that i have TBI, i had run a 195 for the past several years, and just recently switched to a 180 in a probable wasted attempt to help the motor last alittle longer by running alittle cooler, it has 227k on it, with no major repairs, just keep the oil changed and maintained.

But it seems even with the computer controlled stuff, and a 180, it still runs just fine, here in Arizona though, with the 180, it still reaches the 195-200 mark pretty easy.

edit,,just re-read your post and saw you live here in AZ as well,,,definately run at least a 180, i did a long time ago try running a 160 out here, and as for me, it ran too hot in the vehicle i had it in. A buddy of mine runs a 180 on the advise from me, and he is pretty happy with his engines temps,,,at least now after he fixed his temp gauge :p:

4. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

The only thermostat i ever liked was a modified version with the valave removed so water could flow on a constant basis.......works like a restrictor plate, slows the water down just enough to act as a heat exchanger. :bow:

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The secret to good AZ temps are a 180 t-stat , at least a 3 row radiator , good cap , and a heavy duty fan clutch . I wouldn't run anything but a delco fan clutch , those work the best for me .

Replace the hoses and belts every season and save the old ones for emergeny use .

If the motor has multiple accessories and v-belts , use them all , there is a reason all 3 go around the fan .

And check the gauge , they can read high and runaway when the senders bad .

I was driving home today , you know it was hot and humid , a/c on at a stoplight , wouldn't go over 195-200 :D