Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ideal tow rig and daily driver???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supersize75k5, May 29, 2006.

1. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

im driving a 99 3/4 ton suburban, 454, loaded and leather,

average about 9-11 mpg with 130,000 on the clock

I drive about 100 to 200 miles a day doing service work, carry about 1000 pounds on average and use it for going out, camping and towing,

last month I hit just over 1100 bucks in fuel cost alone, my milage is climbing so quick I do a oil change every month and it is just starting to get insane.:screwy:

the burb is paid for, and I got a killer deal on it when I bought it for just 7000.00

but now it just seems like I am throwing money away:eek1:

I am considering an alternative, I live about 50 miles from the majority of the work i do, but I love where I live and the cost of living in north scottsdale is pretty nutty. I had a ranger I was using, but in january is was stolen and it could not tow anything. I already have the burb, my 75 truggy and my 86, then my sisters car, so that leaves the garage full and I cant park in the street thanks to my HOA.

any ideas?

I have looked at a few dodge's with cummins but for a 4 door with a warrenty, Even with a trade in and cash down I am looking at a 650.00 payment and my insurance would be pricy on top of that. so the new truck would cost me a month what my current fuel bill is!:doah:

Nissan titan? 10,000 pound tow rating, 4 door, 305 hp? but I have heard of alot of issues, they are right over 30.000 or so for a new one, also I am finding I get alot better interest rate for a new truck then a 3 or 4 year old truck:confused: wtf

I feel trapped.

-shawn

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Why not a used diesel for work?

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

diesel k30!!

4. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah, for someone who puts that many miles and does that kinda hard work, I think a diesel would be the best choice.

BTW, Cummins makes sweet engines

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Im gonna have to agree with the other guys...why not an older low miles diesel? I have to say putting that many miles on that fast sucks... I drive around a 100 everyday and it aint fun when ya gotta fill up. im getting 17-18 but the oil changes every 5-6 weeks hit ya hard too...

6. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Would a gear vendor overdrive help out any?

7. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Im not a dodge fan at all but late 90's-early 00's Cummins are chreap a couple of my freinds have bought them recently because there a pretty good truck for not alot of money... Im dieing for a 4door duramax now but I prob wont be able to afford one anytime soon

8. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Doesn't the boss chip in some for mileage/transportation? Or if this is your business, you need to work all the driving into what you charge....

9. supersize75k5

independent contractor, so I take the hit on fuel. I do charge a fuel charge, but for the bulk of my customers I just do a flat rate I really dont like nit picking or killing customers such as mom and pops or the like..

its just interesting that to save gas, I would have to buy a truck and then the increase in insurance or maintence and a payment out ways my saving anything.

I am going to look into a used dodge maybe like an 01 or so

I saw a few under 15,000

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

oviously you dont know who you're dealing with here. within a week or two, it would be cut up, and turned into a full blown offroader. all this, just because its got a 60 in the front.

11. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

How the hell can you afford a titan but talk yourself out of the cummins. There are dozens of 4 door models available around 14-20K depending on mileage. Shop around. Don't think just brand new.

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dude get a small truck with a 4/6 cyl to do all of your non-towing driving. I get 23mpg in my Ranger and I've hauled a D60/ff14b at the same time in the back. An old toyota would be good too. They last forever and can haul a decent amount of weight... better rear axle than an old ranger too, unless you get the 8.8. If you have theft problems, just make it more theft resistant. Not sure how buying a super-expensive rig is supposed to be better with respect to criminal issues than an old cheap POS. Car theif guy wants you to buy a new Cummins or Titan. Get the toyota and let him rip off your neighbors cool new rig instead.

j

13. supersize75k5

thats one way to looks at it lol

my other option is the small pick up, but that raises an issue with to many cars, I love and at time really....really hate having an hoa, I am jammed with the only garage and driveway parking rulles,

my other thought was to get another ranger again, and keep the suburban at my friends lot in scottsdale. I have decided against a new truck for now, I just cant justify the gas on top of a truck payment and higher insurance:o

too many things to pay for as it is sometimes