Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ideas Anybody

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Snowman1000, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Snowman1000

Snowman1000 1/2 ton status

Alright, now that I have looked at my blazer now for a few months and Ive decided that either I have got to do somthing with it, or get rid of it. I am looking to do some lift, 4 inches or so. Right now it is bone stock, with Dana 44 in the front and a 12 Bolt rear Carburated 350 (75 K-5) I talked with the guy at the auto parts store, and he said first I should find a set of springs all around, (44's in the front 52's in the rear) but buying them in 3/4 ton so it will have a stiffer ride, but the springs will last better.

I was thinking

1. Longer shackles in the front for a little lift (Diy4x)

2. Maybe a set of blocks to level the truck

3. Trimming fenders for more clearance

If you have a better idea let me know, I would like to just but a lift kit but lack the necesarry funds. I would like to make this into a competant off road truck to burn some trails and have a good time with nothing too hard core.

2. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Don't buy some crappy heavy duty spring. If someone is telling you that they probably haven't put a lift kit on in quite a while. If it is springs you want tuff country ez ride or BDS are pretty much the only way to go here. Lift kits for these trucks are pretty cheap, check around I think I saw a tuff country for under 400 bucks. As far as trimming the fenders go 35s will fit way easy on a stock truck 36s if they are skinny. I have even put the 11r16 michelins a couple of guys are running on a stock truck with no problems.

I would say get a rear locker some cheap 35s and mabey a block to level the rear and go have fun till you some more fundage

3. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I would not recommend getting a stiffer spring rate. Most lift springs already have stiffer rates to start with. Using shackles to gain lift up front is not a good idea. By adding longer shackles you essentialy rotate the back of the front axle down in the process and can mess up your pinion angle pretty bad as well as your caster angle which will make it drive strangely on the road.

Your money would be best spent on a set of front springs and either blocks or add-a-leaves in the rear. Another rear lift option wold be a shackle flip which will give you 4" of rear lift and a better ride. Any lift you do will require longer shocks and brake lines so factor that in to your cost. Depending on what gears you have in the axles you need to choose your tire size according to what the truck will handle so you don't burn up the transmission.

Hope this helps point you in the right direction

4. Snowman1000

I really dont know much about suspensions but I understand that if I did the longer shackles that it would turn the axel down and I would have to line the driveshaft up again but besides that what else would you have to do in the front? (steering shaft extension?? ect.) As for the rear how would you do a "Shackle Flip", basic tools ( grinder, impact, wrenches, sockets, small amount of welding if absolutly necessary). I dont plan on going much bigger than 35's or so, so I dont think that gearing would be a big problem. But I would like to get a locker in the rear some people said somthing about welding it and maybee a mini spool but I have heard people say that they both have worked flawlessly for them but because this would be driven on the road someand I really would like to find a locker, definatly cant afford a detriot or a lockright but maybe I can find an old Govlock or somthing eventually. I am good friends with a guy that manages a Auto Value so I can get some parts at wholesale. (shocks, brakelines)

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you can afford to buy new sprigs you can afford a lift kit. A 4" Rough Country lift kit with new springs for the front and blocks in back, Shocks, Steering arm, and everything you need to lift 4" are only around $350 shipped to you. Thats about the cheapest and easyest way to lift.
    New HD springs will cost the same or more. Then you need shocks, blocks, and shackles. Which is not the best way to do it.
    For locker. SometimesYou can find new lockrites on Ebay cheap $150 or so.
    I would not weld or go with a spool if you are going to drive it on the street.

6. Snowman1000

Were did you find the lift kit for $350. Yeah I wont weld or use a spool I really just didnt like the idea. I dont think I can afford not to lift at $350 with all the parts included. Becasue I called the junkyard and they want 50 dollars a piece for a spring and they told me " you will have to go out and get them, they are out in a few rotted blazers in the back of the yard right now there under about a foot of water and snow" As for the locker I will try and keep an eye out on ebay.

7. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

9. Snowman1000

Yeah I also found the same kit on rough countrys website for 361$ shipped now I how much I have to save and as soon as I get some money im going to but some springs