Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ideas for 350 buildup in 94 RS??

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by XHitman396, Jan 31, 2004.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

so im ridin in my buddy's 1994 Camaro RS today (honestly, i was impressed with the 305) and was just messin around when i said "dude you should let me and james (my bud) build you a kickass 350," and to my surprise, he says "ok." it will be my first engine and among his as well, the owner of the car knows nothin, so what i wanna know, what would be best, it is the TPI injection is it not, if so, i wanna keep it, and everything bolts straight up from 305 to 350, correct, and finally, what would you do? fairly low budget, so are the stock heads any good, im thikin .030 over, i need opinion on a stroker (kickass in truck but what about his car), same/diff crank, cams, lifters, anything pretty much WITHOUT messin with the computer, hes not racin the piss out of it or anything, just wants more power. so i appreciate any info on the subject, thanks again....

2. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

What year is the car? The last year for the 3rd Gen was '92. If it's got a 305 and TPI, it's a 3rd Gen. 4th gen cars have LT1 350's. If you go from a 305 to a 350, you're going to have to change the PROM. Check out TPIS.com, they should have some good info.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Hot rod motors are alot of fun. I really like the 383 Stroker motors. I think it's well worth it to have a good machine shop do the bottom end work. Have the motor all blueprinted and ballanced. I would run 10 to 1 compression. I haven't messed with FI, so I can't give you any advice there. Cam, think Comp Cams 292 magnam. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif Hear it here The kit

4. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

ok well obviously, ive never dealt with older camaros /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif but ya its a 92 anyway, my bad. i dont think we wanna stroke it cuz hes not big into racing and i dun think he would spend the money... and on the PROM, how expensive would that be to have done? is that all that would have to be changed as far as the computer goes? thanks again...

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Is a computer a must ??? Personally I'd build a non-computer controled motor/tranny combo. Lot less work, and gets rid of the hassles.

6. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

It depends on how radical you get. If you keep the build mild, and stick with a 350, you could probably get away with a 350 PROM from a junkyard. If a bigger cam, etc., is in your future, you are going to be doing some chip tuning and burning. There is no way that a Magnum cam is going to run well, if at all, even with lots of tuning. Keep in mind that flow is limited with the stock TPI plenum and runners, so those should be upgraded as well. I would suggest a mild 350 (The GM 330HO, ZZ4, or 385 Crate motors would work well), somewhere around 9.5:1, with a GMPP roller cam and some decent flowing heads (Vortecs perhaps). Put on full exhaust and some new runners, you'll need injectors too, and use a boneyard PROM from a 350. Some 3.73's and a posi in the rear end would round out the package. Your friend will be more than pleased. Another thing to keep in mind is that with more power, the tranny is eventually going to need an upgrade as well.