Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ideas for Custom Overhead Console/Dome Light

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 2Dogs, Dec 12, 2005.

1. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey All,
    Looking to find cosole/dome light that will fit between overhead bars in my roll cage. The space is 5 inches - any of you found something cool that will work here? I am not worried about how it mounts, it just needs to be 5" wide or somethong I can trim to fit ;)

Searching ebay at the moment, something like this but 5" wide and probably a bit shorter (most auctions do not list dimensions :doah:):
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/82-9...ewItemQQcategoryZ33695QQitemZ8020479763QQrdZ1

Thanks.

2. mciahpv

mciahpv Registered Member

Maybe a stupid question, but do you still have a roof/headliner? I rigged up a new dome light from a semi trailer white LED. Cut a hole in the headliner for it and then ran sheet metal screws up into the roof to hold it. (It's actually a double roof up there, so you can do that without any leak problems, at least on my '86.) Turned out great. If you want, I can take some pictures...

3. 2Dogs

Dont' have a headliner - I am looking for some sort of light/console that I can fab into the middle tubes of the cage. It really requires a junkyard trip.....

I am curious about your setup - please post up the pics.

4. 5150_BEAST

5150_BEAST Registered Member

overhead console....

i used one out of my friends old cherokee,it has dual map lights that i spliced to the factory dome wiring,it works great just trim the rear to fit it between the windshield and rear header where the cab and shell meet and a few self tappers into to roof and your set

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Get a pair of the HF rectangle foglight, when they go onsale. 8.00 a pair. Plenty of light inside.

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Of course you would look like a rolling indoor grow.:D I know that its heresy, but have you looked at any of the jeep aftermarket stuff?

7. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I've been thinking something similar lately. cept I want all steel enclosure so I can mount Cb, stereo, plus lights inside and have the faces of both componants angled down slightly and toward the rear. still thinkin on it will post up when I get it designed!

8. 2Dogs

Hehe, thanks.

I will be adding some bright light like a fog light for the rear. :p:

The CB will be going in front of the dome light, in between the same 2 bars.

I wish more of the ebay adds listed sizes - PITA to ask them all for measurements....