Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ideas for custom softtop

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by garlicbreath, Oct 31, 2006.

1. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I am going to have a boat canvas shop do a custom softtop for my 71 blazer during their offseason.
    What features do you like, or would you want, in a custom softtop?

2. gaspass

gaspass 1/2 ton status

Absolutely

Depending on cost, count me in. Would it be a snap front or like the rail type front?

3. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Zippers all the way around so you can unzip it and still have sun shade.... also makes it cheaper if you rip one off road to have a replacement made....

4. garlicbreath

I was thinking can back style like they sell for trucks, with the roll up sides and back.
    Zippered sections is a good idea too, then I could just unzip the sides.

What about side windows, yay or nay? I would have the sides up when on the trail so it would only matter on the streets.

I will make my own bow supports also out of 1/2 inch EMT.

I am not sure about the front attachment though. I would like a channel, they seem best to keep water out but unless I can get that part from an existing softtop company it will probably be snaps.

5. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'd design something that used a family cage as the frame to avoid having to mount a second set of tubes for the top.

Also, the design with the least amount of drilling (use stock holes!) wins!!!

Easily removeable......easily installable. I don't want to drive with a soft top on unless I have to. If I'm caught out in some sudden "weather" I'd better be able to get that top assembled quickly.

7. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

When I saw STC was selling I immediately called them and got an extra front rail bought. They still had some as of about 2 weeks ago. A whooping $4~ part with a couple dollars shipping. You might want to go ahead and get one since it is that cheap and if you don't use it, you could always sell it to someone as a spare.

8. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I will be having one made for mine since the cage doesn't allow for a standard soft top. Some things I have in the plans.

1. removeable sections that allow the top to change from a bikini top to safari top (Covers just the top of the vehicle front to rear), side sections and rear sections with windows and I will opt for tinted.

2. I want the shop to keep templates or give them to me for replacement panels to be made if necessary.

3. Definately the channel instead of snaps where it meets the windshield.

4. I have thought of some type of stiffener on top of the top so the wind doesn't whip the top up and down going down the highway.

5. I am thinking of ways I can attach to the bedsides maybe with a clamping system so no holes are required. (I filled all the holes in the top of the bed rails and windshield frame when I did the body work)

6. Some type of system for the attachment to the tailgate so it can be un hooked and opened easily if necessary. I may just go to an attachment point just above the tailgate so it doesnt even connect to the tail gate just close.

7. a carrying case for all the portions of the top when not in use.

Just some ideas I have kicked around. I have also toyed with the idea of removeable lexan panels for the top or some similar type of material.

9. garlicbreath

I just called SCT and they are going under.
    He said he is waiting on purchase offers from 2 companies but has everything packed up and won't sell me the front runner for a top.
    Someone pony up, buy the company, and then makes us some canback tops for firstgens!

10. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    since i'll have no doors, tailgate, and narrowed fenders, my custom soft top will probably be a piece of tinted plexiglass :)

11. garlicbreath

Any updates on STC?

12. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I got a refund then found a like new fastrack on ebay that I picked up for $530 shipped.

13. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Ah, you were the one bidding against me! hehe. Good luck with it, I have one that's in ok shape, but it needs to TLC to make it water tight again.

14. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Thats funny. I was wonderng if anyone else from ck5 was watching that. I had a bid up to $650 on it figuring if they are going to be obsolete then ones in good shape will really start bringing in some coin one the word gets around