Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ideas for hauling a non-running project truck?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sledge, Jun 12, 2003.

1. Sledge

Sledge Registered Member

At the start of July I'm finally getting out of my apartment and into a house. So now I'm itching to get back to working on my '72 project Jimmy.

The problem is it's not running now (and will take a bunch to get to that stage) and is currently "decorating" my parents' garage in NW Oregon, 500 miles from my new home in Reno.

I've considered renting a U-Haul and trailer and doing the job myself, but I don't have any experience pulling a trailer and don't think this is the time to learn (mistakes mean expensive lessons). /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyone have any brilliant ideas on how I could I get this done?

2. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

Put some skinny tires on it and push that heavy mother into the back of a big U-Haul truck. No trailer to pull and it is covered and secure for the ride. Better find a way to tie it down though. Other than that, pay some one to move it for you (lots of dough).

3. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

IIRC - U-Haul will not allow you to put a car/truck inside one of their box trucks. So, don't tell them about it /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BTW - Get a tow dolly. Towing is easy, just practice turning wider than normal.

4. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

there's nothing to towing unless it's a semi, just make WIDE right turns, and plan on braking a long time before you usually do, accellerating slower, and shift lanes slowly, otherwise the trailer will jerk you when you try to straighten out.

5. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Trailoring isnt that bad, just go slow and pay attention.
    That would be cheapest and easiest.

Ken H.

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If you are renting a moving van any way get one of the larger ones, even if its more than you need. They make great tow rigs. Rent a trailer from the same place, just make sure you have small tires so it will fit.

7. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Get a car dolly & pull the rear drive shaft out Going forward isent bad but if you never have gone backwards it will take some pratice /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif but one you get it to your house you can move it how you want to.
    Either do all that or get a pipe and chain and pull the rear drive shaft /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif although 500Miles is a LONG ways

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

tow it...im only 17 and i tow and manuver our boat on trips all the time..(not that big of a boat 18 ft bowrider) but still..its not much worse than that. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

The only hard part of towing is backing up(that and jack knifing!). Here's what I do. I just grab the bottom of the steering wheel with one hand, while looking back of course, and I turn the wheel in the direction I want the trailer to go. For example, if I want the trailer to go right, my hand goes right and vice-versa...I hope that made sense! [​IMG]

10. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Short trailers are harder to back up then long ones