Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ideas For Spare Shaft Holders...?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, Sep 22, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If I have time this weekend I'd like to make up some holders for my spare shafts. I was gonna just use a piece of PVC or ABS tube that was big enough to fit and bolt it to the inside bedwall but there are a couple of problems associated with this.

The flange on the 14 bolt shaft (yeah, that's right, I'm carrying them) and the slinger on the D60 shaft would hit the bedside so they'd need to be spaced out which is pretty cumbersome. Another problem is clearance inside the tubes where the bolt comes through, I could notch the ends and use a carriage bolt but with the spacer and everything this would be pretty ghetto fab by the time I was done.

I don't want them loose and I hate big heavy crap sitting at the bottom of my toolbox when I need it so those two options are out. What has everybody here done for spare shaft holders?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2005
  2. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I use cargo tie-downs for my spare shaft, tie it to the back of the rear seat, but that shaft is just a NP208 slipyoke and a U-joint for a 10 bolt.

3. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have thought of putting some unistrut on the bedsides and then using pipe clamps to hold the shafts in place. They make clamps to fit large conduit so it will work for both axle shafts and drive shafts.

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

A couple large hose clamps attached to some simple brackets welded to the inner bedsides. I've had them like this for years with no problems.

5. mikey_d05

Hose clamps will support a complete long side inner and outer...? How many are you using?

6. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Just make two tabs for each shaft and bolt the plates to them if CV or attach a yoke install the U joint.

Not sure if that makes sense but basically just attach the ends the way they install to two brackets in the truck. If you have the tools to change the shaft you also have the tools to remove it from it's mount.

7. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You can take this off though

8. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I was reading an atricle in the latest issue of Peterson's 4 Wheel. IIRC, one of hte rigs that went on the Ultimate Adventure had d-shaft mounts as part of his cage. He welded some old yokes/flanges to some tube and welded that to the cage. I looked pretty slick and seemed like it would work very well. That way, they are out of the way, and easy to get to as well.

9. mikey_d05

Shoulda been more specific, these are axleshafts, which is why I was making the 14 and 60 comment. Yeah I can take the slingers off but I really don't want to break 'em down any, that's just another thing to lose. Looks Like I'm making spacers.

10. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Yeah that did look good. Secure, and out of the way.

11. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Ok so maybe I didn't read that close bud. Hey I do have an extra set of spiders for a 14 bolt if you need it. That would be two of your 4 mounting points :D

You could mount the axel shafts just like I suggested for the drivelines you will just need a collar on the stub shaft of the 60 so it stays ------ at the u-joint. You will also need one of the splined mounts to move to lock it inplace. Maybe 3 sloted holes and one fixed hole on the bracket. Some stripped out locking hunds should work great for the 60 outer mount or you could go with an axel nut but I think the splines would be easier to work with.

12. mikey_d05

Did some thinkin overnight and here's my new idea:

Same basic setup as before except bend up some metal strap (remembered I've got some sitting at home) to mount it so it's not quite so ghetto. That'll keep it away from the bed wall. I'll need one tube for each 14 bolt shaft and two for each 60 shaft. One of the tubes for each 60 shaft I'll cut in half length-wise. That way I'll slip the shaft in one end, set it in the other end, and throw a hose clamp around the cut piece.

Hell, between the winch, narrowing, shocks, and my mom's b-day I don't even know if I'll get to it this weekend but if I do does it sound like a reasonable plan? Gotta keep in mind that I don't have a welder or an extensive set of tools so it's the best I can do for now.