Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ideas for stock brake lines with 4" lift.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by vortec, Mar 26, 2007.

1. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i haven't seen this exact point covered, here.

i'll be installing my "pre-owned" rancho 4" lift kit before too long. i'd rather not replace the brake lines if i can use the stock ones safely. it looks like on the rear, i can just make a bracket a few inches taller to raise the t-fitting. easy and cheap. the front brake lines could be more of a pain, but again, it looks like i could just make some longer brackets for them. have any of you tried this and had problems with clearance, flex or anthing else? suggestions? pics?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i run the stock lines in the stock positions and didn't have a problem with my 4" rancho lift.

3. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

and if your avatar is any indication, you do wheel it. maybe i'll try them that way before i go messing with it. thanks

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The kits , in basic form , ONLY come with drop brackets anyway . The stainless hoses are the way to go though . Not just for length reasons , but for better pedal feel .

5. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

what he said! i replaced all my lines with 6" lift lines...i got alot stronger pedal now...or maybe i just bleeded em good lol. i went from having just front stainkess adnwhen i added the rear it got ALOT firmer.

i know you can get some rancho parts bc ive got a little lift tab off of my project trucks rear end.

6. Desert Yeti

Desert Yeti 1/2 ton status

You need to (at the VERY least) use extended brackets for the brake lines on a 4 inch lift if you wheel the thing. I put in some nice flexy 3" springs and extended the shock mounts and quickly discovered (luckily in a very safe situation) that the brake lines were now the limiting factor of my suspension (a buddy of mine calls them "redneck limiting straps").

I plan to go with longer stainless for the pedal feel, but they're not cheap.

<hijack>
    On a similar note, does anyone know of a longer STOCK application that still has the proper ends? Can I find a stock line for some other vehicle that will work with my increased travel in the interest of keeping costs down?
    </hijack>

7. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

Here is some info:

Click

EDIT: This is supposed to go to post 115. Didn't work so here is the info:
    I had a 2.5 inch lift and the stock lines were too short at full axle drop/flex.

I went with steal lines front and rear - a little expensive but worth it. I am running 1/2 ton stuff.

8. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

you hit my concern right on the head. since most of my actual miles are on pavement (takes a lot of pavement driving for me to actually get to wheeling spots) but i don't want to be on some rocks and snap a brake line.

can you believe my lazy butt hasn't installed the lift yet? but, my new house has a 3-car garage, so i'll finally have the space to do the work.

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Stock lines are too short for a 4" lift. They do however work good as limiting straps but they are a little weak and have a tendency to break over time. Then they dont work so good no more and its hard to stop when going down a hill.
    Either get new longer lines or the drop brackets. You can get both the longer lines or the drop brackets from rough country.

10. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Just get the stainless lines, like 100 bucks for all three + hardware from procomp.

I bought a truck with a 4" lift on it that had redneck limiting straps, the one side looked like it would have ripped the next time the kid hit the brakes, and was obviously pretty much brand new.

Brakes are not something to screw around with, just pony up the cash and be safe!