Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ideas need

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SF87K5, Jun 19, 2004.

1. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Ok here is what I need help with. I need help to try to figure out how I can make a box to cover my 2 tool boxes. Here are some pics on how the boxes are in my K5.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also I was woundering if someone could help me with some ideas how I can fix this rust problem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for your help.

2. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

<font color="red"> ur rust problem dun look too bad. i would just grind it off and if u hafto, weld sum steel to it...then ofcourse spray it wit paint or rhino liner if u wanna do the whole floor. </font> /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Thats what I was thinking or rivit it in. Then spray on a liner then painting it.

But I need to figure out a way to cover my tool boxes for when I am doorless and topless so they wont walk away.

4. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

<font color="red"> are you planning on putting subs and audio back there (u don't seem to be) if not, i would go fab up a sort of rack that has spaces the size of ur boxes, then either bolt it to the floor, or leave it floating in the back (making sure its not goin anywhere of course) if u lived near me, id say gimme sum measurements and i'd make a frame to set ur boxes in at my work. o wells. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

For the floor, grind it down till there is no more, then weld/bolt/rivit a new piece in. The rust isn't to bad, look at mine /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif I had to buy a new piece from the dealership!

For the tool boxes, do they stay in the truck, or are they for the home? I'd just bolt/lock them to the floor, and make a little piece that goes over the droors so they can't be opened. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

<font color="red"> u mean ur hing is now attached to the rets of a truck? wow, what a concept...i should try that...lol. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font>

7. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Big Red I am thinking of doing that and put a folding cover over them so I can lock it some how. But I will need a lid on it so I can open the top of my big box. Just not sure what to make the box out of. not sure if it should be wood or sheetmetal of some gauge. I have see big metal storage boxes that I could put my tool boxes in. But the top of the boxes dont open.

84gmcjimmy they stay in my truck. Thats why I want a way to hide them or make sure there 100% secure in the back during the summer when I run doorless and topless.

Can anyone think of a way I can make one or that has made one yourself?

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

since they seem to be permanate i would make a box like this, have the boxes side by side then make a sheat metal box to go around them, one piece that will cover the bottom the sides and the back then two hinged pices the cover the top and front, with some tabs for locks so when you open it the top, and front fold forwardand lie flat in front of the box. This will give you a nice flat stop to work on. I dont know if you weld or not. If you dont try to find a smaller welding shop to do it for you. Even if you do get a shop to bend the steel for you with some over hangs so it could look nice.

you can bolt the box down from the inside so they cant be undone, and some handles if you want it removeale. You counld use the space above the smaller one for more storage. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Sweet idea, I didnt think of putting them side by side. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I like that plan, I will take measurements tomorrow for it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

11. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

and I have 2 words that JJlaughner will appreciate....DIAMOND PLATE /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Hey JJ, I like how that turned out, good work /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

13. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

if you do get a shop to do it the smaller one that arnt to busy can be cheaper, draw it up and see what a few shops say, or do it you self.
    Little shop tip, when i want to cut sheat metal and i want longer strate cuts i have an old old skill saw i got for 4 bucks at a grage sale its gotta be the first skill saw b+d ever made!! lol , pull that sliding garde and slap a metal cutting blade on her and you done.

14. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

JJLaughner Perfact that was what I was looking for. Can you give me more info on it, such as what thickness of wood and other pics of it at all?

15. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    and I have 2 words that JJlaughner will appreciate....DIAMOND PLATE /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahhaha /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

- deck is made of plywood, 3/4", the stand up legs are tight between the wheel wells, the top touches the back seat and the tailgate at the bedrail height. There's metal L-brackets at the legs/top on the inside, and brackets to screw it to the floor on the outside of the legs, there are four hinges recessed in the wood then all of it was covered in carpet. There is a lock (desk lock) on the passengers side with a slot cut in the outside leg for it to lock in.

I built it to fit tight but after the carpet went on it had to be wedged in so its not going anywhere!

16. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

JJlaughner I might just varnish it or line it with diamond plate on it. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

17. jjlaughner

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif