Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ideas needed for mounting a 8274 on a '73

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 70~K5, Apr 21, 2003.

1. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Ideas needed for mounting a 8274 on a \'73

The only opition warn has is the Fugly looking replacement bumper. Anyone have pics where they kept the stock bumper? Is there any other replacement bumpers that would work with this winch? I know about 4x4 irons bumpers, just want to see if there's any others.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Re: Ideas needed for mounting a 8274 on a \'73

<font color="green"> Step 1: Load winch into truck
    Step 2: Drive across town to my house
    Step 3: Drop winch off in garage
    Step 4: Don't worry about mounting it anymore! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Seriously, a custom bumper would be all I could suggest. I am thinking of sectioning part of my grill out when I finally get a winch so I can keep it tucked as close to the truck as possible to maintain my approach angle. Not sure if you would be willing to cut your truck up like that. Warn used to make a behind-the-bumper kit, but I doubt that you could do anything like that on the 8274 because of the tumor on the top of it.</font>

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

What Shaggy said (except for the part about raping mice -- that was you, wasn't it?).

Back In The Day, dealers had a gizmo that mounted a winch behind the front bumper, and the license plate flipped up to un-hide the fairlead. I doubt however, given its funny shape, that the 8274 would fit.

I'll happily drive down there and take it from you to save you the trouble of driving it to Shaggy /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-- A

4. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

The 8274 is a great winch but hard to accomodate, even if you cut your grill you will probably only gain like 3 inches inwards, at least if the 73 is similar to my 86. The most important thing is to mount it is as high as possible, mine is mounted over the frame rails(check my webshot picture) and I still managed to hit my winch support pretty hard as described in another post I have going right now.