Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

??ideas on a 70 Blazer???

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 383whiteblazer70, Nov 21, 2006.

1. 383whiteblazer70

383whiteblazer70 Registered Member

I have a 70 blazer, 425hp 383, sm 465/205, 35x1250x15 X-Terrains, 1973 1/2 ton 6 bolt 44hd front and 12 rear. this is all i have done to it thus far, i would like to hear your ideas on what to change or add to this to be able to do trails from 1-4, not interested in the #5 for the families sake. I would appreciate it for your comments.:confused: :confused: :confused:

2. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

Give the truck to me and hike more...

But if that is not to your thing... Then I am a drivetrain maniac.

D60 Front (dually)
    14BFF Rear (dually)
    Double T Case
    Hummer Beadlocks (the reason for the dually axles)
    38's
    Lots of body armour
    Full Cage

3. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

With 35's your most like okay with the 1/2 ton axles but things to add or think about might include:
    Family roll cage
    Lockers, both front and rear will make a huge difference
    Add a winch for sure
    Bead locks if you tend to air down, so that adds on board air to the list

Just being self sufficient along with making your blazer as "rugged" as possible so that you will make it back to camp or home with the family.

The "if I can only do one thing" item is definitely...LOCKERS.

4. 383whiteblazer70

I was thinking molys front and rear, a true trac f/ and a spool in the rear?

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You can upgrade for the sake of upgrading, I suppose.....but you've got a pretty well-matched set of axles and tires (not too much tire), and the rest of the package sounds pretty nice.

If you don't already have a cage, get one. That's good for the family and safety equipment should always come first. Good recovery points front and rear are nice, rocksliders and a winch make you more self-reliant.

After that, lockers are a nice upgrade. If you drive it on the street you should really think about doing a selectable locker in the rear instead of a spool....a spool will really ruin the street manners of your truck.

If you do a lot of technical wheeling in the rocks (in Kansas?) then you could ante up for a Doubler....but that's pretty far down the list. You've got a pretty capable sounding truck already and aren't looking for that last 10% of performance anyway from your description......that last 10% is where a LOT of money gets spent too!!! :eek1:

Nice job with 4 posts and already becoming a paying member too!!! :waytogo:

:usaflag:

6. k2-k5

k2-k5 1/2 ton status

I would say safety equipment would be #1 followed up by lockers. My friend had a Br*nco that was stock accept for ground hawgs and lockers it did twice as good as the highly modified rigs.

7. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

The mazda leather seats were the the one upgrade I notice EVERY time I drive it. Best all around upgrade I did.
    Otherwise I would say cage, bikini top or soft top, winch, sliders, H4 headlights with relay,
    It's hard to say, I don't even remember much of what my truck came with stock now.

8. vtblazer

9. 383whiteblazer70

itll travel around town a little country crusing in the winter, during the rest of the year well haul it to CO,NM,UT,AZ,OK,MT,WY & TX. Im a famer, so i dont work 3-4 months in the winter, i use it to hunt with mainly.

When we (family&friends) wheel we do a lot of really Scenic trails,Camping, Hunting, and this does happen to be really ruff stuff some times,3-5 , but when the kids r with us my 3 girls love the sky view, but dad gets a little neverous with them in there( maybe im just overprotective, but whether anyone likes that or not i dont care, they r my everything)

10. vtblazer

I hear ya...;)

DCP_2223grnblzrdrvn.jpg

DCP_3253kids.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2006
  11. 383whiteblazer70

what transfer case do i have????

I have a 205 out of a 73 pu that was behind a th350 and it doesn't look like the one behind my sm465 in the 70 Blazer( little things like fill plug the same, but drain is different).