Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Idea's on clunking noise????????????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BamBamblazer, May 12, 2003.

1. BamBamblazer

BamBamblazer 1/2 ton status

Idea\'s on clunking noise????????????

Ok i have started to notice a noise when i stop. it only happens when i come to a complete stop and the vehicle kinda settles at the very end of the stop. It kinda sounds like something settles back into place, with a clunk. I hope this kind of makes since to you as you read it. Like i said it only happens when i come to a complete stop , i can get on the brakes heavy and if i dont completely stop , no noise?????????? Any suggestions what i should check or has anyone else had this too?

2. Mudbug1979

Mudbug1979 1/2 ton status

Re: Idea\'s on clunking noise????????????

Any noise when you take off kinda hard from a complete stop? Could it be wheel bearing. Just wondering, I had that same clunk when I would take off from a complete stop and it turned out to be a worn out wheel bearing. Just a thought.

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I've heard that that cam happen when the slip yoke binds on the shaft. It may need to be lubed. Does it come from underneath in the center or from the front?

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

same problem hear..only thing ive found is that i need pass. side tie rod end..and a new slip yoke for the front drive shaft...it shakes around like crazy..but that shaft doesnt even move inless its in 4x4 so im still lost..

5. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I have that same problem... I thought it was slack in the brakes so I adjusted my shoes and it went away for about 3 stops then started again. I'm clueless... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea my dad said it could be brake shoes clicking or something?

7. 91k5NC

91k5NC 1/2 ton status

see if your fly wheel is tite. that what my friend was doing.

8. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Mine used to do this - it was the transmission shifting fore and aft a bit. Check to see if your trans and motor mounts are tight (or worn out). Mine was a clunk when I came to a stop followed by a bit a thunk as it slid backwards under acceleration. Worn U-joints will also make a clunk as you go from throttle to coast and can be heard to clunk when you start up again. Lastly, a friend's 2wd had a different sounding clunk, but it happened when you came to a stop and then started again - it was just slop in the gears in the rear end going from throttle to coast.

Oh yeah, I heard one this last weekend, but it was my diff falling on a rock. Don't hear that one on the street that often

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i think im ganna do new u-joints anyway..and lube everything up under there. should i go with spicer u-joints or something?

10. 96chevysfa

96chevysfa 1/2 ton status

this may be wrong, but on my truck, my center caps in my rims are a little loose. they make a clanking noise when going slow. could it possible be that?

11. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I took the center caps off my wheels.. they made more of a "tink" sound as I drove.. not a "clunk" followed by a jerking motion as I stopped. U-joints in my rig are good, brakes have been adjusted and re-adjusted. I haven't checked the yoke yet or the motor mounts. I'm thinking it's the gears in the rear end. It's a 10 bolt, it's gotta go sometime. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Oh and sorry for jumping all over this post, I just have the same exact problem. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Check all your spring and shock bushings for wear. Check all your bolts everywhere, too.

I have the clunking right now, and it seems to be the pass side upper shock mount that's broken off the frame (but is still tethered through it). In the past when I've had that noise, though, I've found my U-bolts loose and dangling, spring bushings worn, tranny mount worn out, steering components worn, slipyoke binding in the TC, etc.

I'm glad I read this thread, I gotta remember to grease up the yoke this weekend again...