Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ideas on custom electric fans, anyone?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kickinasphalt383, Jun 12, 2002.

1. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

I want to run electric fans on my 86 M1008 (w/ 6.2 diesel) and I really don't want to spend a ton of money on an aftermarket setup. What kind of options do I have. And what all is required to swap my truck over?

I need something that pulls alot of air to keep my diesel cool. It has to be reliable since my truck is my DD too. and it will hopefully be cheap /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I dont know about running one on a diesel, but take a look at my pics and there are some of the brackets I fabbed up to mount a Thunderbird 4.6 liter elec. fan. Mine is running on low speed for now. Ill hook it up to go to high automatically if and when I hook the A/C back up. I do plan to hook it up to a switch for when I am on the trail just incase I need it. I live in Fla (rather brutal climate) and run a 160 thermostat, I have only seen the gauge over 160 1 time. And it was only at like 170.

Do a search for electric fans. Youll see quite a few. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

4. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Here's mine.Used two 14" Perma-Cool fans and made the shroud.Cost me $79.00 bucks for each fan,$15.00 for a Painless Wireing electric fan thermostat and relay,and maybe $10.00 in aluminum.It works great on my mild 350.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Flex-a-lite makes a nice dual fan set-up with its own shroud and mounting system that should fit your radiator perfect. I think it is the 210/220 model if I am correct. I used this set-up before as my only fan and it worked great. Never had any overheat troubles and it was very dependable.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

*Personally* I'm going to go with a Camaro setup, likely dual fans. Apparently someone over at thirdgen.org or ls1.com did some "flow testing" (blow testing?") of a Camaro dual fan setup, and with both fans on high, output was over 5000CFM, which was the testing equipments limits. Kind of amazing, I believe that beats even the stock clutch fan. I don't think I'd worry about problems running a GM fan on a daily driver.

Also, I looked into radiators the other day, (quickly) and compared some of the later ('88-up trucks) radiator dimensions with ours, and the difference was only 1" less H and W than what our "stock" ones show. That would be a stock SB one, but an '88-up Diesel pickup might be a donor in your situation. Of course, that doesn't mean the mounting points are similar, (I'd look if I knew where a new radiator was) but with a little fabrication (as much as would be needed to mount electric fans anyways) they could be made to fit. *Should* be an Aluminum radiator sometime starting in there, and that will cool better than the copper/brass we are running. Since its a GM used piece, not nearly as expensive as a be-cool. I figure an AL radiator out of a later truck coupled with a Camaro fan setup will cool VERY well.

Do realize however, that a stock clutch fan will outflow almost all electric cooling fans, the only advantages the electric fans have over them is a tidier engine bay (kind of) and much better cooling opportunity at idle, since fan speed is thus not controlled by engine RPM. (well, ignoring the alternator)

7. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

excellent ideas, thanks.

the reason i want to go to electric fans is for low speed 4-wheeling and so that i can turn it off for stream crossings. my main concern would be keeping it cool at low speeds.

8. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

the way im going to wire mine is to a power source so when the key is on the fan is on but put a switch inline so that when i want it off its off /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. dyeager535

I'd *personally* want the fan to shut off based on coolant temp, like the factory ones. (although have it ignition switched, not constant 12V) At cruise, in a good cooling system, fans are not needed. Fans running at cruising speeds do nothing but impede airflow and thus reduce the cooling effectiveness of the radiator. (including the "flex fans") That is why the stock clutch fan can "stall" and why stock electric fans are temp switched. (and in some cases MPH switched too) Not to mention its quieter.

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I run a SINGLE IROC fan from a '90 car.........in a shroud........wired with a temp switch.......very inexpensive and works great. It's been tested too, in 98 degree heat last year crawling on the freeway for an hour..........never got over 210. No idea on the flow but with a 4 row radiator it is plenty even for my 406.

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

nice ride you got there Bob!

12. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

you make a good point /forums/images/icons/smile.gif i didnt think of that ill look into it /forums/images/icons/smile.gif but i will put a shutoff switch inline so i can turn it off /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

13. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Thanks MJ /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

14. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The beauty of electric fan motors is that they can be reversed. Wire in a DPDT switch so that for stream crossings you can turn it off or reverse the airflow to push the water away from the front of the radiator. Also good as a "friendly" way to get pedestrians out from in front of you. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

15. Blue85

I am working on a dual electric fan setup as well. My motivation is for idle A/C and better fuel economy. My 85 has a coolant temp sensor in the water neck. I am thinking about making a little controller that reads that temp and lets me adjust an "on" threshold and on "off" threshold for the fan relays. I could probably make up several of these units if people were interested. I have seen similar things for well over $100, but that is ridiculous. I have no way to know right now, but I would guess they can be built for about $50. I will look into it if there is interest.

16. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Gotta do better than that - you can get the Perma-Cool adjustable unit (160 to 210F) plus wiring kit from Summit for $49.95, and someone here mentioned a cheaper unit available from Autozone...

The Perma-Cool unit has been working fine for my dual fan setup and includes the A/C override.

17. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I am also running a 20" dual speed fan of a lincoln mark VIII it is the same as a thunderbird I believe. They have a built in shroud and work awesome.

18. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

Hey, Kickin' I have a pair of elect. fans from a later model chev. I'd sell to you at a pretty good price. E-mail me if interested, and I'm in Wisconsin. bishopfamilywi@msn.com
    Pete.

19. dyeager535

His would be using a stock fill neck, and will likely be 10 times a cleaner install. I say go for it, if you can keep the switch cost down. Like the idea of using those "junk" thermostat necks for something! Might as well let a sensor turn the fans on/off if you can't let the ECM do it ; )

20. Blue85

Where does the Perma-cool temp sensor go? I think that the key to a good controller is having the right amount of hysteresis so that the fans don't switch on and off all the time. That should extend the life of the relays. That's why I was going to have to controls: an "on temp" and an "off temp". But if there are some good units already available, maybe I'll just get one of them. Now that I think about it, the expensive ones that I've seen are for ECM vehicles to let you overide the factory temp settings.

Also, the "A/C override" is important, but don't let somebody charge you any more for it. It's just a diode. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif