Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ideas on how to mount my Commando body to K5 chassis

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bajaviking, Jul 12, 2006.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Any of you fab gurus have any advice on how to mount my Jeepster Commando body to my K5 Chassis. It will be used for medium hardcore wheeling so it needs to be strong. I guess I could just copy the original body mounts but I wonder if somebody has an easier or better way to do this.

Note: I am not cutting up my Blazer, this a a junk chassis and a junk Heepster that I am putting together.

Thanks!

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

How I would do it:

Build a serious cage with the Commando body still on it's original frame. Shim any worn body bushings to square up the body b4 starting. Bolt it in via doubler plates etc. Slash & cut as needed on that frame to put the cage doubler plates where you want them to be. Include doublers on the firewall.

Lift the body onto the K5 frame and position it with wood blocks or what ever to get it in the right place. Build tabs off the K5 frame up/out to the doubler plates. Use a spring eye bushing in a tube at each doubler plate. At least one pair of thru bolts will want to be oriented 90* to all of the others.

Build the engine cage off the firewall doublers using more bushings at the frame. Hang the front clip and the radiator on the engine cage.

3. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

4. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

Measure....Can you use the stock jeep body mounts and transfer them to the balzer frame? Thats how I got my 70 cab on the 79 blazer frame.

5. balterbuilt

balterbuilt 1/2 ton status

build new mounts on the frame to match the commandos stock mounts. Much easier then re-engineering the stock comando body, beleive me! We did it with an s-10 to a k5 and it worked very well, only too kan afternoon without even using a frame lift. Just a tree!!!!!:doah: Just make sure you build the mounts strong and it will be fine (duh).