Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ideas on rebuilding my 350?????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazingjesse, Aug 23, 2002.

1. blazingjesse

blazingjesse 1/2 ton status

I found a fellow in NM that would rebuild my 350, $1500 to bring up to a 400hp competition motor. $1100 if i bring him just the motor. What should i look out for, and any good ideas for the motor while it's torn apart? fuel economy is important, so keep that in mind. I like making it to the next gas station, if you know what i mean.

2. JoseK5

JoseK5 Registered Member

383 is the way to go. Shoot for 9.0:1 compression, and vortec heads. Lots of litterature about this, just run a search and you'll see the big picture. Good luck

3. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Well 400hp and mileage don't go hand in hand unfortunately. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif Keep it more mild, like 330 hp. You'll have more low-end grunt and better mileage with a tamer motor. Vortec heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, and one of the smaller 4x4 Xtreme cams from comp (or the like) and you'll have something you can live with.

FYI, I run...
    '83 C15 Shortbox
    355 4-bolt main
    345np cast federal-mogul flat-tops
    vortec heads
    performer intake
    comp 4x4 Xtreme .447/.462 210/218 111 LSA
    Q-Jet
    SM 465 hooked to 3.08 rear

With my foot in it alot and running the A/C, I've been getting 16-17 mpg. I then found I had the rotor button put in wrong in the distributor and the float way too high. So now I've got a lot more juice and a little leaner running carb. I bet I could hit the big 2-0 if I played my cards right. But, at least high teens for sure.

4. blazingjesse

blazingjesse 1/2 ton status

ok But how much would it cost with vortec heads??? Need an answer ASAP!!!

5. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Hmmm, 'bout $750 for the complete package. That would be with heads, intake, intake gaskets (special type needed), valve cover gaskets, and a set of junkyard valve covers. You'll also need self-aligning rocker arms. Lots of guys sell those on e-bay because they buy crate motors and swap them out right off the bat. Those centerbolt covers are superior to the old stlye ones too. That $700 would be offset by the fact that you wouldn't need a valve job, guide work, or having your heads milled flat again.

If you have an old 350 in your possesion, I bet you could get it all done for $1,500. ARP bolts would be recommended for the rods (big ends of the rods have to be re-sized, no biggie), head bolts, and main bolts (not absolutely required)