Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ideas on routing exhaust pipes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by James, Dec 15, 2000.

1. James

James 1/2 ton status

Hey guys,
    Need some ideas on how to route two chamber flowmasters dual exhaust coming of my brand new Thorley headers :)). I had planned on doing the shackle flip before having my exhaust done. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get to the shackle flip before the exhaust. I was thinking of running the exhaust off the headers obviously above the T-case crossmember inside frame then crossing to outside the frame just after the rear schocks and out to side behind rear tires. Problem is when I go to do the schackle flip. Pipes will be in the way. Can't locate the pipes anywhere else because of where the factory schackles are right now.
    Any suggestions or pictures would be very helpful. Oh Yah can I drive approx 15 mile to Muffler shop with headers on vehicle only. Neighbors will love that :(. Just not sure if you can drive with just headers. Will this cause any damage
    Thanks
    James

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I don't think the open headers will do anything, I'm guessing so?????? My buddy runs thoes,I forget what you callem, it's like a Y right after the colector so you can open up your exsaust and run 'open header' instead of routing thru the mufflers while on the sand dunes. Sounds cool!
    My exsaust pipes don't go all the way back I have 8" pipe on the ends of the Flowmasters that go down and out. kinda blows on the ground right in front of the rear tires.
    VVVEEEEEERRRRRRUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMM[​IMG]

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I started my truck with just exhaust manifolds in place and it was REALLY loud. I mean, hurt your ears, turn it off loud. That was at idle.
    If you do drive it like that, hope you don't come within 5 miles of a cop. That's an instant ticket.
    Do you have another truck you can pull it with, or can you borrow one?
    -- Mike

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Do just like you said but come out just infront of the shackle mount. This will clear letting it hang just a hair low and when you do the flip you can raise it tight against the body. You can just make it out on my wifes Black 79 in the left of this picture.
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/cgi-bin/i/images/gate003.jpg
    My 75 had not been done you but thats where it is now. I have alos cut about 6 inches off the bottom of the rear 1/4 and rasied them as high as I could get it.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

5. James

James 1/2 ton status

Yah, think I'm gonna end up towing it to the shop. lol. nothing but CHP(CA highway patrol) on the freeway between my house and the shop. Would be kind of funny to drive it into the shop Monday 8am in rush hour with just the headers on it :((. Can see the look on the faces of all the yuppie commuters:((. Bet there would be quite a few with coffee spilled in their laps:)
    BTW Burt4x4 thanks for all the info on headers. Thorley's sure are nice. Wife still doesn't understand why so much $$ though. Oh well.

6. James

James 1/2 ton status

Thanks Grim,
    Want to be very specific with this guy at the muffler shop. Doesn't seem to understand what I'm saying. picture will be very helpful.
    James

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Steve has custom pipes on the UAV. Ask him about it

[​IMG]