Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ideas on suspension

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by VisionxOrb, Oct 31, 2002.

1. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has thought about using radius arms with coils on there front like the old f*rds. Im going to set my blazer for prerunning ( tired of all those guys with rangers rule the sand dunes ) and im planing on 63 inch rear springs but long springs in the front seems like its not gonna cut it but radius arms from an old f-250 and maybe coilovers looks like it wouldnt be to hard to do, what do you guys think?? Also maybe you guys can help my figure a noise out, I have this popping noise that i can feel in my floorboards pretty much any time my truck makes a direction change ( ie from park to moving or turning hard ) and i check all the body mounts everthings tight, its got me stumped. thank you for any help!!.

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the site,
    I dont really get what your asking about using the radius arms with coils? Doyou mean you want to keep the solid front axle and run coils and radius arms? If you were going to go through with all of that work running a 5-Link setup with coilovers might be within the same amount of work needed to be done. Here is a thread that one of the members got started on this board. Also check Race-Dezert for some information about long travel stuff. I dont know what to tell you about your popping noise though.

3. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

the popping might be your drag link. mine pops when i forget to lube it. it dosnt shake the whole truck though.

4. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

Exactly I want to keep my solid axle and use radius arms. I figure It would be a whole lot easier and cheaper because I could get most of the setup off an old F-250 ( not sure which other fullsize fords had this I know the broncos did also but there smaller ). Basicly building my own multilink front end is out of fabrication skills, but i can swap parts /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif . I thought I could use the coils or lift coils to get the hieght and travel but also I think that with a really nice hoop I could use a coilover shock for even more travel.

P.S I did lube all my fittings plus I made sure the tranny mounts were tight still cant figure out that popping noise, ive had it to a small extent since Ive had my blazer ( about 5 years ) but its gotten alot worse in the past 2 months.

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

mine was making noise, and the front shackles were worn and were flexing like mad.

please also take a moment and fill out your profile, thank you in advance

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I don't think that the SFA F-250's had coils. I'm pretty sure that they only came with leafs up front. The F-100's and F-150's had the coils and radius arm setup.

7. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

If your popping noise has gotten alot worse in the last 2 months, and you still can't find it, just wait another few months and it will probably become obvious. Not the safest way to go, but functional for the lazy, like me. lol /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I've thought about it and from all the information I've gotten, I don't think it is really necessary.

Leaves can get you enough travel, plus one thing I would worry about with super mongo travel is u-joint angles.

As for the Rangers "ruling" the dez, well, we've run into problems. First off, the Ranger is smaller and lighter, and the multitude of experience, knowledge and parts helps and already comes with an ideal setup from the factory. Whereas, we are a lot bigger and our setup, while can be made to work, takes work to do and finding a set of beams from a E-350 and slapping in.

9. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

If you want coils and radius arms etc, you need all the parts off a '70ish Bronco. From the 2 Broncos I've owned I wouldn't swap all that crap and ruin a perfectly good Blazer. It's no where near a bolt up operation. You don't see many old Broncos blasting thru the dez either.......because the frontends don't work well unless you scrap all the Ford parts and build longer arms etc. Get a front and rear set of race/prerunner leaf springs from Deaver Spring, then some killer tuneable shox and you'll be on your way.....