Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ideas to eliminate topless wind buffetting?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ressurection, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

:confused: Has anyone tried putting some kind of panel behind the rear seat to minimize buffetting? Two things that lead me to think this might work to improve the comfort of rear seat passengers.

First, when hauling leaves in the wayyy back behind the back seat once I hit travel speed they started blowing to the front in a whirlwind flurry and filled the front passenger floors.

Second, alot of the high end convertibles (MB, BMW, Porsche, etc) have just such a panel that comes up when the top is down.

I picture a nicely finished nylon sheet w/ pockets all the way around that would fit around a frame made from some conduit....

Thoughts?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  2. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I thought about putting one in when I had my '69. I was thinking about a sheet of clear plexi with velcro straps holding it to the roll bar. Then I realized that I had to have the seat all the way back to drive and that puts the seat too far back to put in a panel.

With the '72, I don't have a roll bar,so it isn't really an option. It really doesn't bother me much, but if it does, by opening the wind wings all the way, it blows air at me from the front and helps counter act the back wind.

One thing I do each summer after pulling the top to prevent a dust storm in my eyes is to take the leaf blower and blow out the interior (I have the stock rubber floor mats).

3. Ressurection

Yeah, I agree w/ the blowing out at the beginning of the season. That or vacuuming reaalllyyy well is mandatory!!

What I'm thinking, though, is behind the back seat. I don't find buffetting a problem in the front seats, but the rear passengers get quite a wind-storm.

4. gaspass

gaspass 1/2 ton status

windy?

:rolleyes: I thought the idea of a convertible was to feel the wind blowing through your hair. To get less wind blown just put your top back on and cut a sun roof in the top.

5. Ressurection

True, but to an extent...at 70mph on the highway it's not real pleasant for the kids, or especially adults, in the back.

6. 72 SAC

72 SAC Registered Member

My favorite is the first few minutes after you take the top off for the summer, I all ways wish that I would have vacuumed. This year goggles will be on hand.