Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ideas?? to get tire to seat.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 74757685k5, Oct 3, 2005.

1. 74757685k5

74757685k5 1/2 ton status

I have 38.5x15x16.5 boggers i'm try'n to put on 12in wide wheels.the are the recomended width but,the tire shop cant get them to seat.they tryd a ''cheeta''.no luck.any ideas would be helpfull. thanx.

2. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Fill it with ether and put a match to it. I recomend not doing that but what ever works. :D :D

I would let all the air back out, break what little bead has set and coat it with dish soap. Then air it back up and pound the piss out of it with a big hammer.

3. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I use a big 2 or 3" wide tie down ratchet strap. Wrap it around the tire and rachet it down until the side walls expand out. This may take 2 people one to apply pressure to the center of the tire (I have jumped on it) while the other one rachets it down.

4. 74757685k5

that sounds safer than the first reply . i'll try that .

5. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

You do realise that I was joking about the ether right?

The soap part is safe. The place that was trying to set them should have done that also before they even tried to mount the tire.

And yeah. Rachet straps are good also.

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

7. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

i mounted all 4 of my 38.5 boggers on the rims using starting fluid and a lighter. works awesome just dont singe your arm hair or your eyebrows!!!!! :wink1: :eek1: ;) :o

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

ether works..

We used starting fluid to seat the beads on the front end loader tires at the junkyard all the time!--it IS dangerous--but it was the only way we could do it too..ever try to squeeze a loader tire??--its like iron!--we'd just jack it up off the ground,spray in about a 5 second burst of starting fluid,clip the air hose from the compressor on and quickly toss a burning rag or newspaper at the tire and POP!!--or "BOOOOM" depending of the amount of ether,temarature,etc..once we blew a tire we'd plugged with a huge 1/1/4" industrial size tire plug/patch apart and ruined it--ether CAN and WILL explode violently at times if you use too much!..we learned after doing it a dozen times just how much it takes!--a little goes a long way! :eek1: :crazy:

IF YOU TRY THIS BE VERY CAREFUL!!--(I'd always hide behind something sturdy while tossing the lit rag or newspaper!)... :crazy:

9. crazyhole812

crazyhole812 1/2 ton status

yep the ether trick works. that's how they get those funky looking tires on low riders

10. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

The ratchet strap is the way i would do this. I also leave the valve stem out while seating the bead so air flows in faster. I have more luck if i stand the tire up as if it were on a truck.

11. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The bomb (ether, lighter fluid, etc.) solution works well but it's really dangerous and best reserved for emergency situations or trail fixes. To seat my boggers I used a ratchet strap, a lot of soapy water, an air chuck clipped onto the valve stem, and a good deal of my 210 pounds.

12. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

set them out in the sunlight all day. the heat will help soffen up the tires then stap them like listed and also blast them. and also stand them up and shove the short side of the rim up to the bead. then blast them from the long side of the rim. on the rim there is a short section before the drop and a long section. blasting from the long side helps the air stay in longer as it is a smaller gap for it to get out. i do big truck and mud tires alot. try this and good luck.

13. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

I have had luck taking the dismounted tire, blocking it "open" with blocks of wood between the beads. In your case 4 evenly spaced blocks of wood 14 inches long or so. Set the tire in a cool or better yet cold place. The tire will take a "set" overnite. One at a time mount them on the rim, strap them and put air to it. It helps to remove the valve core. I've done this a number of times in my garage. Last option is ether FAR from the house... good luck

14. sweetk30

red brute where are you in sothertier ny?

15. 74757685k5

16. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

Get on 17, head East, exit66. Apalachin...seems we aren't to far away from each other.

17. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

What technique worked for you? curious minds want to know. You aren't missing eyebrows are you?

18. sweetk30

19. CrewCab59

CrewCab59 1/2 ton status

tire seater

Just get a small air tank have a 2'' female plug weld in and a 2'' ballvalve and a air fitting and fill up the tank .Then BLAST that tire.

20. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Thats how we get semi tires to seat at my buddys shop