Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ideas to reinforce floor under seats

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Storm Trooper, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Tore out my carpet tonight and have some rust and cracking of the floor under the rear of both front seats. I was going to cut some 12 or 14 gauge steel and weld/bolt it on then remount the seat. Any ideas on best fix? I could cut the floor out of another K5 or just use steel. I think I should also seal between the so nothing gets traped between them. What do you think? Maybe Herculinner on floor and dump the carpet for good. Thanks
    87 Blazer sm465 & 208.

2. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

Just finished up a project like that. I replaced the floor with a heavy steel like 12 guage, I welded in supports under the floor for the new ford seats i put in. I bought replacement floor boards from lmc but they were paper thin so i tossed em. I herculined the whole interior much better than carpet, quite a bit louder but easier to clean and less to worry about when going topless.

Craig

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

rollcage with seats tied into the cage. That's what I did.

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I welded up the cracks in the floor, then went back with some 1/8" plate and put it in over it. The only downside to doing it that way is what's called "oil canning" Ask Trusty about that. When you put in a more rigid peice of steel over the top, especially welded, the slight metal deformation will cause there to be a light bend in the metal. On occasioin, you will here a "pong" type sound under the truck. Can be a little unnearving to hear, but it's just the metal poping. The best fix is like what Laketex said. Even if you just built the seat support now, it would be IMO the best fix.

5. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

I just finished my front floor, had the same problem you did. I cut plates of metal and metal bonded and welded them to the existing floor.They don't move a bit and there is no oil canning. pics below

6. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Thanks guys for all the imfo. That is kinda what I was going to do but not get really crazy with it because the B bash is in 28 days.
    COLLISION, man you really did it up. Thanks for the pictures. What did you use between the metal as a bonding agent? Sooner or later I will be really be getting into it including roll bars but for now I just want a decent fix and will build off of it from there.