Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Identify that truck!

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Paxx, Aug 20, 2003.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

well I just saw a truck today.
    It was a military truck.
    The sign said 1 1/4 ton.
    Had a 6.2L with 120km.
    th400 I'm assuming.
    np203.
    d60 and 14bff w/government lockers geared at 4.11 (or 4.10).
    8000lb warn winch.
    38's.
    warn hubs.
    The back of the cab was cut out and a seat was added in the back. It had the canvas for the box.
    What truck did I see? and what are the government lockers?
    The guy said the truck will pull with one wheel so I assume he means its fully locked and not a govloc.
    He wanted $6000 for it. the guy also has a set of mattracks (sp?) he was selling for $12000. Just wondering if this sounds like a good buy or not. It had a bit of cancer but not too much. What do you guys think?
    thnx Max

2. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

well if it was an ex mil truck it would have 4.56 gears , and a 208 , some but very few had 205s , never any 203s .th400 is right . it is said the 14bolts have detroits but ive never opened mine so i dont know for sure . got pics ? sounds a lil high to me but eh what do i know ? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

A lot of the info didn't seem to be too reliable. The sign also said "7500lb axles" never heard of 1 tons being refered to like that. And it said full time 4wd so that's why I figured it had to be a 203. Also I was confused by the gearing as well. That's why I wanted to see if you guys knew what it was.
    I don't have any pics so I can't show you guys. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif But I agree that the price sounds way too high anyways. Just wondering what I was checking out.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You need to go look at it. Unless it has 24 volt electrical don't count on it being a military truck.

87 never had the 203, so check for locking hubs and visually check the T-case. The 208 is aluminum and the 203 is cast iron. Should be easy enough to see the difference.

Gov-lock in a military truck...not likely. If it is military it'll have a rear detroit (no-spin). I have opened mine up and mine does have a detroit.

Ratio should be 4.56

Back of the cab cut out? Maybe an ex-radio truck or ambulance?

The more I look at the description the more I think the guy just doesn't know much about the CUCV's. He is probably making assumptions and guessing.

My guess is that is prolly is ex-military, just being sold by someone that doesn't know what they came with in stock trim. I just noticed the part about the Warn hubs...if it had a 203 it would have drive flanges instead of locking hubs.

The CUCV pick-up's were all spec'd as 5/4 ton trucks.

Is that $6000 cdn he is asking? ($4225 USD) It would be a good starting point for a build up, but still 'feels' high to me. Especially with the cab being cut out in the rear and a little 'cancer'. It does have a good drivetrain though.

Rene

5. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Rene pretty much nailed all the points. Probally an Ex ambulance Many were sold with out the box due to a possiblity that the insulation used might not be flame retardent. What does they cut out look like? and is the bed cut as well? The gears should be 4.56's but, i have noticed alot of the Canadian militry CUCV's with 4.10's. Maybe it has something to do if they are using the matracks in the Northern regions, Or just swaped out for better road manners. T-case should be either a 208(aluminum) or a 205(iron). As these trucks get to the end of thier service life lots of wierd things happen to them as the get replacement parts from other broken trucks, and modified for use in roles other than what they were designed for, or it was done in its civilian life. I think i have seen this truck on Ebay awhile back, $4250 usd isnt that bad for a running truck. I would be worried about the cab though, they routinely go for 5000+ on ebay and private sale. I paid more than that for my M1009 but you pay for what you get.

Cheers, rugger

6. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

The cab I think was cut out after the military was done with it. the rear window is gone, then the opening goes right to the floor between the front seats. The front of the box was also cut out and supports added to keep the box sides from falling outward. There is still the 1-2" gap between the box and cab /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif The people riding in the bench seat might not be to happy about hitting any mud /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I probably won't go back to look at it again as I wasn't really all that interested in the first place. (it's not a k5 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) But the low mileage sounded nice. Especially in a 6.2L. Should be a lot of life left in that truck. and it had a lot of the parts that I drool over on a regular basis. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Now if it had a 465/205 and 4.56's it might have peaked my interest a little more. but I do think that nothing can compare to a /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif I can't wait till I find a nice rust free one to take home with me!

7. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Just because it showes low mileage doesn't mean the motor is still good. The rings were worn out on mine when I bought it with 43K on it. Military trucks can have mega hours of idle time and with no hour meter it won't show.

My crewcab was ex-Air force. Had open 4.10s, NP205 and 12V electrical.