Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

identify this 60 part please.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5 krawler 50, Jul 11, 2006.

1. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

Hey, i'm in the process of re-assembling my dana 60. when i bought it, it was in pieces, and now that i'm re-assembling it, i think i'm missing a part. Here is a pic of the part(the part that is bolted to the caliper bracket) and i was wondering if you guys could tell me what the name of the part is ( it looks like a dust shield of some sort) and if any one knows where i could pic some up at? I appreciate all the help. THanks.
    [​IMG]

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

You don't need them, my went into the trash when I tore into my 60

3. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

well that is good news then. Thanks for the help.
    Cory

4. jolane

jolane 1/2 ton status

While that shield is not absolutely necessary...I would not be so quick to throw it away. If you have them, you probably should run them. They are probably there for several reasons:

1. keep excess grease contained that comes out of the seal, and off the rotor/wheel,etc
    2. create a shield for dust/dirt/mud. It acts like a labrynth seal to help deflect mud away from the rubber seal.

Personally, I run them for these reasons (just put my D60 in actually, and could have removed them while I was in there). I had the spindles off while packing the needle roller.

Joshua