Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Identify this part and tell me what its for...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cbbr, Oct 18, 2006.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I stol this pic from buffblazer's thread. What is the bar attached to the top of the axle called (Panhard?) and does it act as a swaybar? Looks like the shocks are "inboarded" from the factory too?

[​IMG]

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

It is considered a panhard bar.
    It keeps the axle located from right to left,somewhat nessesary on a coil spring suspension like that.

3. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

That is correct, a tracbar/panhardbar. Look at the suspension: trailing arms with coil springs. It only keeps the axle from going side to side. Like it does up front.

4. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

I believe that some leaf spring suspension also use a panhard bar. I think that the Ferd trucks do. I think that it is added to eliminate the small amount of slop that occurs in a leaf sprung suspension. It tightens up the handling and makes the vehicle more responsive.

As for sway control... I don't think it does much for sway control.

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Road racers with rear leafs use panhard bars for lateral location when possible. Like a drag link, the longer they are the better they work.

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

F350 does from 86+. Because of the front shackle - and how narrow that shackle is, some extra lateral support is necessary.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

yup..

I just welded one back on an 89 Jeep Wrangler a few days ago--it's bracket to the rear end rotted off and it broke away from the housing--had to re-weld and add more metal to secure it!..I was suprised to see one on a vehicle with leafs,especially something as light as a Heep!.

--I bet it doesn't do much with leaf springs..not many vehicles need or use one with leaf springs..only reason I fixed it was because the guy selling it didn't want a potential buyer hearing it banging around under there!..(and I hope they don't look to close at my hacked attempts at frame repair either!:doah: )...