Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Identify this starter?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BKinzey, Feb 16, 2007.

1. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Supposed to be a 28MT for a GM 6.5L Diesel. It's not:mad:

It is a Delco - Remy.

1998557, followed by 6B27, is stamped on the body. I put that number in at GM Parts Direct and they don't know that number.

The sticker looks to be from a rebuilder.

What did they send me?

Starter.jpg

Starter #s body.jpg

Starter #s Sticker.jpg

2. 84zz4ss

84zz4ss 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Just your average early 80's to early 90's. Vette, Camaro, Caprice and a bunch more.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

X2!..

Yep--#3510...a common run of the mill high torque starter, that fits most all small and big blocks in the 70's and 80's...no good for a diesel!..the one pictured looks like the later metric version with the "short" solenoid..might work on a 4.3 V6 too,and some straight sixes...:crazy:

I got all excited when a guy I know said "heyyou own a GM diesel,right?..
    "I have a brand new GM diesel starter I'll give you,I sold the truck I had, and the new owner never came back for it"..

When I got it,it WAS a brand new starter--but it was for an OLDS 350 Diesel!:doah: ..way different nose,with 3 bolts on the side!..should have kept it though,the bendix drive would have fit my 6.2,and I had to buy a rebuilt drive for 35 bucks for my "old" starter not long after that!...probably could have swapped my 6.2 nose on it possibly too,but I didn't think of that at the time...:doah: