Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Identify

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by crawford, Apr 19, 2004.

1. crawford

crawford 1/2 ton status

There is a valve or something in between the passenger side ramhorn and the exhaust pipe on my '72. It seems to have some sort of spring or weight mechanism on the outside and it's about an inch thick. Anyone know what this is and if it can be removed?

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Are you talking about the heat riser that's bolted in between the manifold and exhaust pipe? It has a little butterfly flap in it? You can disconnect it. I haven't had mine connected for years. If you take it out, you'll need some way to bolt the exhaust pipe back up. I suppose you could remove the flap, but then you'd need to weld the hole closed where the shoulder bolt goes through it or something. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif You'd get a nasty popping noise out of it if you didn't. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

I was going to remove that whole thing too. Once I looked at it, I figured it wasn't worth the headache.

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

A friend of mine just removed the butterfly and put set screws in the holes to plug it back up. Bolted everything back together after that. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    A friend of mine just removed the butterfly and put set screws in the holes to plug it back up. Bolted everything back together after that. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto on that, did that when I put in a 400 in replacement of my stock 305 and was too lazy to change out my exhaust.

5. crawford

crawford 1/2 ton status

Cool, thanks. I'll probably just remove the flap.

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

If you do that, you will have to drill and tap some thread on one side but it is easy to do /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif