Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Identifying a front end

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mr.smartass, Dec 31, 2004.

1. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

i went with my friend to look at a '71 k5 and i asked the guy if he also had any axles for sale he showed me a complete frame with 2 axles on it he had pulled out from under an '84 blazer he had bought for parts. the rear end on it was definately the 14bff but i'm not to sure about the front end... like a dummy i forgot to look at the lugs, but the differential only had 10 bolts on it, i don't think it looked like the corporate 10 bolt i have under my 89 so what else could it be?? i'll always be a noob...

2. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

If it was a 14bff in the rear, then that would imply (could be a mistake) that the front was also a 8 lug axle. Since you "know" it's not a 10B, then the logical answer would be a D44.

You might want to chech here http://coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml

3. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

thanks man for the info, i'm so excited, he said he would sell me the frame and the axles that are on it for like $500 and i think i can talk him down more if i'm lucky

4. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

cross your fingers

Blazers did not come with 14bff axles sooooooooooo that means it was swapped in and what goes with a 14bolt ??????????????????????????????????????
    maybe a DANA 60.:laugh: Ya never can tell when you might stumble on a deal.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

10 bolt corp has square corner thingies on bottom of diff hjousing, cant miss them

dana are irregular shaped, 60 and 44 almost identical but 60 has different u bolts and bigger tubes

60 says 60 in a corner on front side in webbing of diff center, clean off corners, cant miss it

6. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just look were the steering arm connects to the Knuckle, If there are 4 bolts in a square pattern it is a 60, if it has 3 bolts in a row it is a 44 or a 10