Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Identifying axle ratio (again)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rugger03, Jun 6, 2001.

1. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

I know this has been covered, but i can't find it using search. I have a set of axles out of a k20 (14b/d44), and am trying to figure out what gears they have without pulling the covers. i know its mark this then turn that... but can't seem to remember exactlly. thanks in advance, erik

2. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    If you don't know what your doing that method does not work !
    How hard is it to remove the cover ?
    Sorry but that's the way it is, unless your know for sure what type of diff is in the case i.e. Powr-Lok, Detroit
    Open, Auburn........................
    Good luck, sounds like you will need it.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If the axles are not under the truck removing the covers is even easier...rotate them until the pinion is pointing down and you won't even have to deal with the mess. With the cover off you should be able to find a stamping on the edge of the ring gear that'll give you the ratio. It will be expressed as the numer of teeth on the ring gear to the number of teeth on the pinion. My 3.73's are expressed as 41:11 on the edge of the ring gear. Once you have got the covers off and have determined your ratio, get a pan and rotate the diff untill the oil is drained. Give it a good cleaning with some brake clean and inspect for any damage. If everything looks good, re-install the covers and re-fill the diffs. Now you will know your ratio for sure and will have some peace of mind as to the condition of your diffs. Cleaning inspecting and changing the diff fluid is maintenance that needs to be done anyways.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

4. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

i know it sounds lazy but didn't want another mess right now buy pulling the covers, just to damn busy with work and other projects. But as it often happens a different (clear)perspective prevails, thanks Rene.

erik

5. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    This is the method I have been told to use (but have never had it work out correctly so I must have been doing it wrong) jack up the rear end and put the truck in nuetral. Mark the driveshaft and tire. Turn the driveshaft by hand counting the turns till the tire makes one complete revolution, then divide. This dosent work with lockers, LSD or if the brakes are hanging up. You might even get lucky and find a axle tag on one of the axles. I agree with everyone to just pull the covers.

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5

6. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The turning of the tires thing is highly dependant on what type of diff it is. A locker, a Limited slip and an open diff will all do different things. Even the type of locker or LSD can have an affect...pulling the cover is the only sure way to tell.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>