Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Idiot - For computer people.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Sandman, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I'm at work this morning and the phone rings. Its a guy in Germany that is trying to load on some software onto his laptop. When he tried it, it asks him for the license server IP. "No problem" I say, "Are you logged onto the network?". "I dont think so" he answeres. "You need to log onto the network before you can see the license server" I say. "Well, I can go stand by it but I'll have to put the phone down."

I thought about putting the phone down too. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Ha! I'd've HAD to put the phone down!

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

id10T

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

True story:

The operations manager for a place I used to work came to me one time and asked me about his home cable modem. It was running really slow, so he traced the cable from his computer, and found it was coiled up behind the desk. He uncoiled it and ran it out from behind the desk, and his internet speed picked up! He was wondering if maybe the coil was squeezing the pipe too much and the data was having trouble squeezing through.

I think he took the "You data on the cable is like water through a pipe" bandwidth metaphor a little too literally... I don't think there was really a change in his connection speed at all...

I was almost expecting "Do we need to cover the equipment for that broadcast storm thing you keep talking about on the switches?"

5. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

HOLY CRAP /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif