Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Idiot ??? how 2 tel difference between 14 bff and 14 bsf???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by triger, Feb 27, 2003.

1. triger

triger 1/2 ton status

<font color="green"> I know very little about the gears on differentials except how to change the fluid and how top break them. So I am in the search of getting a 14 bff for my blazer and was wondering the diffence between the full floater and the semi floater and how to tell the which is which??? I am gonna be searching the bone yard by me and want to know what I am talking about when I go in there...Any /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif would be appreciated.../forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif...and if there is any one from jersey who may have one for sale, maybe we can make a /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif....Thanks

T </font>

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

14ff=8lug 14sf=6lug /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. triger

triger 1/2 ton status

<font color="green">well that was easy enough...thanks... </font> /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

<font color="green"> T </font>

4. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Full floater 14 bolt axles will have a "hub" assembly that sits on the spindle at the end of the axle, with 8 lugs. The axle will bolt to this hub, at the ends of the axle, you will see the additional 8 bolts on the end. These bolts can be removed to release the axle while the vehicle remains on its wheels! Also, you will notice the hub protruding thru the rim on any 14BFF.

14SF axles will have 6 or 8 lugs, and will NOT have the same hub that the 14FF has. It will be FLUSH with the rim, meaning nothing protruding, and there will be no additional 8 bolts to remove the axles from the housing.

Stop me if I am getting ahead of myself... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

-Dan

5. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

6. triger

triger 1/2 ton status

<font color="green">Hey thanks guys I think I am on my way...understand the dynamics better now...now to hope to get some axles for a descent price... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

T </font>

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    14ff=8lug 14sf=6lug

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    good thing this ain't Pirate

8. wfo163

wfo163 1/2 ton status

this is all true about the lug and hub difference but just looking at the diff cover shows it as well. The 14bsf has some what of an oval shaped cover while the full floater is much larger and triangular in apearance.