Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Idiot Light, Need Help...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1990SilveradoK5, Jan 16, 2001.

1. 1990SilveradoK5

1990SilveradoK5 1/2 ton status

This morning I go out and start my 1990 K5, 350 TBI and the check engine light comes on. I just bought the truck and have been driving it for exactly one week. I have noticed nothing change from yesterday when I drove it to this am, voltage, oil pressure, and temperature. The only thing that I need to do is replace the tail pipe that fell off on friday.

It seems to be running OK at speed, however accelerating is not as smooth as I think it should be.

The Idiot light stayed on the whole way to work 20 miles.

Need your wisdom,
    Thanks

Gone Large and Loving It.
    Keith

2. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

Well, when you put the ignition on "acessory", the "service engine soon" light should flash a code. That code should tell you what's wrong. I dunno the code sequences offhand, but I'm sure some of the other guys know. Or you can try a Chilton's or Haynes manual. They have a list of the codes in there someplace. Just make sure you find out how many times it blinks, and if it pauses for a long time inbetween blinks. That's all I know about it. Hope I could help.
    [​IMG]

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://billybob.coloradok5.com>http://billybob.coloradok5.com</A>
    It's all fun 'n games, till someone gets stuck.

3. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

your acceleration stinks huh?.....how about your gas mileage? My money is on your oxygen sensor. Easy and Cheap to fix

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

4. 1990SilveradoK5

1990SilveradoK5 1/2 ton status

Drove it to the auto parts shop at lunch, and no light. I picked up a haynes manual will see what the computer tells me.

I am still on my first tank of petrol, so I will not know my milage until I top her off again.

Gone Large and Loving It.
    Keith

5. Channing74

Channing74 Registered Member

If you find out what code it has set, let me know and I can fax you some test from mitchel-on-demand. If you have the test and a volt meter you can figure out exactly whats wrong instead of geussing .......

Bigger is Better [​IMG]
    Channing74

6. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I'd second the oxygen sensor comment by MichiganBlazer. I've had the same thing happen. Its a piece of cake to change, it just unbolts.

June 2001 - The Texas Sawz All masacre begins. Be afraid rust, be very afraid. [​IMG]