Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

idiot lights to guages

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by noJeepshere, Feb 8, 2003.

1. noJeepshere

noJeepshere I Drive Trains! Premium Member

i need help! my trucks (81 jimmy) motor started losing oil pressure :eek:, but the idiot light didn't come on until just before it siezed, :angryfire: throwing parts of motor around. :eek: it is now sitting in my driveway until i can get money to buy a new 350. but my agitation came from the light that didn't come on until too late. my question is, will the gauge set out of a 79 truck work? i read that the lights work on diaphrams that open and close the cicuit to turn the light on, and the gauges use voltage regulators to control the amount of power to the guage, indicating pressure. will replacing the diaphram with the regulator work? and where would they be if they do work? i dont want to ruin my new motor becuase of forced ignorance. thanks in advance. :ears:

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

had the idiot light come on with my 305. Ran it for a while after that. Everytime I shut it down it diesled and knocked a little. After a while of driving the light went off and everything was fine. /me shrugs

3. noJeepshere

mine dieseled too, but that is from carberation problems.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

mines dieseled infrequently anytime it felt like it but everytime I shut it down with the idiot light on it dieseled really really badly. Like for 20-25 seconds at a tiem.

5. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Just buy the proper senders for "with gauges" from your local parts store. About $15 for oil, $9 for temp.
    If you want to swap you lights for gauges, you'll have to pop out the pins on the black plastic connector that goes to the back of the cluster and re-arrange them. To know how to re-arrange, you'll have to trace your old and new clusters and put the wires where they need to go. There is no magic cookbook, wire color code map, even the wiring book for a specific year can be wrong. It's not hard, just takes time and a little patience.

BlazerMan

6. noJeepshere

Thanks, got it working now. now, about that motor...4.1 L6 anyone? /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif