Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

idiot lights

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Aug 5, 2005.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

at what temperature did the water idiot light activate, and what are the chances of it still working after nearly 30 years???????

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Usually the idiot light comes on 1 nanosecond after engine damage has occurred. Chances are it still works the same or worse...

Gauges aren't that hard to install, and then you'll be able to actively monitor temps, OP, and charging...and know there is a problem well before engine damage happens.

Rene

3. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

pray for my truck, because I am going to make a guageless 15 miles run in about an hour.

4. wildbilzrydn

wildbilzrydn 1/2 ton status

In June I drove from Montana to Illinois in my '72 (1400 Mi) with nothing but idiot lights. I've felt your fear.... east of Wall, SD, @ 7am I saw two cars in an hour. it would've been alot of walking.
    Good luck.

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I find lights to be better than gauges for alerting me to a problem. Then guages for figuring out wtf?
    I buy VDO's temp senders for what ever it is that I want a light on, and wire up an indicator light. Look them up on VDO's page, then get them from Summit.
    In other words, I've not a lot of faith in the stock bits still working at their age. One race truck I worked on was wired so that the lights came on and stayed on with the ignition. When there was a problem the light went out. That way you know that the bulb is still good.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

the light system will work still as long as wiring and light bulb and sender unit are all good

when thelight comes on all depends on the sender unit