Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Idle adjust on a Q-Jet?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustBuket, Aug 18, 2003.

1. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I feel really dumb asking this but the idle on my motor is a bit high and was just wondering which screw do I adjust? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Is it the one on the front of the carb on the one on the side? If its the one on the side then I don't get it because it doesn't actually touch the throtle bracket thingy(?) its backed out so far.

P.S. ---- I was also wondering, should I be replacing my auto hubs on my 10 bolt with manuals? How hard of a swap is it and do I need any special tools? I've never opened up an axle b4. Thanks.

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

If the screw on the drivers side isn' touching your throttle bracket then you either need some throttle return springs or have something wrong!

Manual hubs I believe are cnsidered to be stronger(a little).. The main benefit is that you dont have to worry if the auto are goign to engage or not. My old ones had a tendency to unlock when I needed them!

3. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

I had to adjust the Qjet on the HotRod truck the other day it got pretty hot outside and casued the truck to run Rich As $H*T when i shut it off it idled for like 3mins... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif i adjusted the timing and carb....

4. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If it's not touching, it's probably the fast idle? On mine the fast idle is on the left side and only matters when the choke is engage. The normal idle screw is on the right side (facing the truck from the front that is), kinda down low, not real easy to see. This should definitely be touching something and you should hear the difference as you turn it.