Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Idle Air Control Valve

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Madbomber88, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Madbomber88

Madbomber88 1/2 ton status

When you take this out of the throttle body, are you supposed to be able to move the pusher in and out? I have been having idle problems so I thought it may be this. Any way to tell if it is working? The one I took out doesn't move at all when I push on it.

2. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

It should move but not very easily, you have to press on it quite a bit.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

and you have to tilt the stem of it a bit too to get it to slide in or out, it has alot of resistance to it, almost like its jammed, but its not, you really have to push/pull it like you mean it, dont play around

you have to set it to a certain distance before putting it back in BTW

i forgot the measurement now i tihnk it was like an inch and 3/8 i believe, id have to go look it up

clean out the hole in the TB unit with carb and choke cleaner and blast it out with compressed air,. before putting the valve back in
    and dont go crazy tightening it up i have busted one clean off in the TB unit by overtightening its not hard to get carried away with the wrench/socket and snap it off :O i did that one on an s--10 blazr with 4.3 in it and so i had to snag the one off this 84 sunbird 1.8 or 2.0 convertible coupe we had out back for junk(blew the engine up in it)

it worked, the 4.3 ran fine with it lol

good luck

4. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

I'm having an idle problem on my 90 Blazer also. How do you test this thing to see if it's really working. I have a scanner and it reads the count but is it really working or is the count what the ECM is telling it to do?