Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Idle problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by usmcanson, Oct 18, 2005.

1. usmcanson

usmcanson Registered Member

87 k5 350 tbi. Put in new plugs,wires,cap,rotor, fuel filter and air filter, it Ran great. Then started stalling out at idle. Used the paper clip trick and found o2 sensor reading rich. Also map sensor voltage was high. Guy i bought it from told me that he had just replaced the map sensor. Replaced o2 sensor. IAC valve and Egr Valve with same size washer as before. Afer all of this it seems so run rough and does not want to idle. Haven't even driven 3000 miles yet and it has been about 2 months. I just don't think it's possible that i need new plugs again and i can't think of anything else. Also just flushed the radiator and installed a new thermostat. It seems like the more preventitive maintenance i do the more goes wrong with it.

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If your coolant sensor is out of whack it'll throw everything out but won't throw a fault code. (this is the ecm's sensor I'm talking about, not the one for your dash guage.)

3. usmcanson

i'll try it, hopefully it will make a difference. Also i was thnking and remembered that when i first installed the egr valve i forgot the washer. This made it idle really high but it would idle and stay running. Now with the washer in it doesn't want to no matter what adjustments i make to the idle screw. I'm going to try a bigger washer as well.

4. southernspeed

You did reconnect the EGR hose to the correct port didn't you?

5. CTBlaz45

CTBlaz45 Registered Member

Where is the ECM s coolant sensor my K5 is stalling like crazy and I have changed alot of stuff maybe that is it it only does it when it is warmed up.

6. southernspeed

The ECM's one is usually on the inlet manifold at the front. It has a plug connector unlike your guage sender which is usually on the side of the head and has a 1 wire eyelet nutted on.
    You can just see it at the left/front of the blue rag. Gold-ish with a black plastic top.

m swap 007 copy.JPG

7. usmcanson

i put it on the bottom port. There was nothing on the top one when i got it. hopefully this is the right one. On my way to check everything out.

8. southernspeed

Can't remember off hand and it's pich black and pouring down outside but one of them is short and not barbed. This is a vent, don't use it. If you're not sure I can look tomorrow.

9. usmcanson

thanks....it was the bottom one. The top one is the one that you described. I don't know what happened , but i took everything off. Checked it all out and put it all back on again and now it works just fine. Thanks.

10. southernspeed

Cool, hope it was just a dodgey connection. :D

11. CTBlaz45

CTBlaz45 Registered Member

I think I may have already replaced that. I will check thogh. Do you think if I adjusted the lash poorly on the rocker arms that this coulc cause stalling?