Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Idle speed question

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Can Can, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Over the course of a couple of years my idle speed screw works it's way out a bit. As a result I have turn it in a bit to bump the idle back up.

I usually adjust it so the idle "feels" right, and I'm pretty sure curb idle is 600 RPMs(or is it 700? Whatever- it's in my book), but how exactly do you set your idle speed to spec with no wires to connect a timing gun to?

I'm sure someone here can tell me how. I'm not worried that I'm running the sucker too high or low, but it would nice to know how close I've been in the past.

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

You can get a diesel tach that uses a transducer that clips onto an injection line and senses the injection pulses, this signal is sent to a device that converts the pulses into RPM on a readout. I believe that you can run a timing light off of some of these as well. Im sure they are not cheap though, so really not worth buying.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I was looking into that and they are not cheap but not that expensive, I think the cheapest setup for a diesel tach was around 200 complete.

4. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

That might be for a tach like you leave in the vehicle permanantly, with a needle and all like a gas tach, I was talking about a digital portable one, I think its a bit more accurate, but it would be nice to have one in the cab, and you can certainly get the idle close enough off of that. They run off the alternator.