Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Idle speed?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by my87Half-ton k5, Jan 17, 2006.

1. my87Half-ton k5

my87Half-ton k5 Registered Member

whats the correct idle speed for an 87 tbi 350?..mine seems wicked wicked low since i swapped IAC valves but it runs perfectly smooth (thanks to a ****load of new parts) and has no hesitation whatsoever..my oil pressure is at least 30 when im idling even at this low RPM , so should i stop worrying?

2. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

If it runs smooth prob. not a worry. There should be a white sticker under the hood with idle specs. Otherwise grab a book on her.Depending on your tranny it's somewhere between about 600 and 850 rpm. No stickers on my junk, if it feels right it is right.

3. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

i got a 89 tbi350 i idle at 600 rpm when warmed UP . :D

4. my87Half-ton k5

my87Half-ton k5 Registered Member

yea im talkin maybe 450-500 rpms right now cold or hot no difference but she goes as good as or better than before i changed the temp sensor

5. chvymudin3388

chvymudin3388 1/2 ton status

dude mine revs too high it jumps kinda when i throw it gear so if i change my iac valce it should idle down some or wat dont mean to jack ur thread by the way

6. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My 89 idles at 500 rpm too. However, thats way too low for the cam I've got in there, and she bumps and sputters at red lights like she was some alcohol top fuel dragster.

You can mess around with minimum air / throttle screw to force it to idle higher, but that can mess around with other stuff. Proper way to adjust it is to change the target idle RPM in the prom.