Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

idle stop solenoid

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blaize, Apr 1, 2000.

1. Blaize

Blaize Registered Member

Shouldn't the idle stop solenoid have 12VDC at the electrical connection when the ignition is on and the engine cold ? I am not measuring any voltage when cold, and I am having "fast-idle" problems. I have oiled the throttle linkage, and just put in a new idle stop solenoid, but the plunger is not plunging ! Any suggestions ???
    Also, the green wire going to this solenoid disappears into a wiring harness, but where does it originate ? I'd like to check for continuity...

thanks !
    Blaize

2. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

try running the A\C, that is what it is for , to bump up the idle to compensate for the load of the A\C compressor

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral

3. Blaize

Blaize Registered Member

Yep, Eagle86K5 pinned it ! Thanks ! Turning on the AC energizes the solenoid. Also, I used Berryman "B-12 Chemtool" to spray clean the carb and throttle linkage, wow !, what a difference ! My idle is awesome right now, I guess the linkage was pretty gummed up. Anyways, thanks for the help !!!

Blaize