Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

idle was @ 2000 rpm: Dirty air filter is the culprit!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chrome Moly, May 17, 2000.

1. Chrome Moly

Chrome Moly Registered Member

(88 k5 350 tbi sm 465 headers & 2.5 pipes) After i bolted on headers and true duals I noticed my idle eventually started to climb from 900 rpm to 1100, than to 1900 rpm than finally 2100 rpm. I plugged in the ole GM code reader and found nothing. I bought a throttle position sensor, still no change. Well today my idle reached a wopping 2200 rpm, so I decided to check the air filter and the sucker was almost black! I drove around the block without the air filter and my idle went back down to 900 rpm. Is fuel injected air/fuel ratios that sensitive to the smallest change in air?

Chrome Moly
    <font color=green>Resistance is Futile</font color=green> [​IMG]

2. James Rusty 79

James Rusty 79 Registered Member

The computer was adding less fuel to make up for the restricting in the air filter because it was making it run rich so the computer leaned it out to get the right mixture. Yes a very dirty filter will do this. Hope this helps you.

James Rusty 79

3. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

Well, I know that my air filter isn't black but it's been awhile since I've changed it... I try it this weekend 'cause my idle's up to 1000 rpm.

NEVER been stuck... *yet*