Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

idler pulley question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by onetwistedk5, Apr 5, 2004.

1. onetwistedk5

onetwistedk5 Registered Member

On the early 90's 350's does anyone know if there were 2 different size pullies for the idler/torsion arms? My pully frize up commin outta college station, sent a friend to get me one from oreilly and they gave her one that was smaller than my stock one. didnt work. went to an opreilly in hempsted and all they sold were the complete torsion arm set ups. the pully on that was the same size as the one i had previously on the engine. whats up?? ohh yea then the whole {expletive}in torsion arm broke. so my truck is sittin on the side of the road 40 miles away.... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I bought mine from Autozone, i'll get back with you in a bit here with a part number.

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Well i just went out and looked for the old part (kept it for a spare) and i realized it was the idler pulley i replaced, not the tensioner pulley, but if the pulley itself is still in good condition, you can simply take the numbers off the bearing and buy new bearings for it, just knock out the old ones and press in the new. Is a much cheaper fix than buying the whole thing.

4. onetwistedk5

onetwistedk5 Registered Member

yea the whole arm tensioner and pulley together was like 50 bucks, i get out there to put it on my truck the god damn thing comes flying all apart like a ****in jack in the box poppin out. the spring, washers, and everything just freggin shattered.....what a pile.

but do you think there are 2 different size pullies?

5. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Yes there are different size pulleys, you must measure the diameter of your original one to make sure you get the right part. Better yet, bring the original one with you to the parts store. Also there are metal and plastic pulleys, try and get a metal one if possible. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif