Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

If all else fails will this work?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Mudrock, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Mudrock

Mudrock Registered Member

I'm looking at all of the options here. I know that you are not supposed to even lower the truck if you have pulled the front half shaft. So if you break on the trail a long way from home and need to do something to make it out can you just cut the CV joint? Assuming you remove all of the now useless items (all parts inboard of the joint) can you now lower the vehicle and drive it? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I can't think of any reason that you couldn't drive out in 2WD if you still had the stub shaft installed. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. Mudrock

OK in my ifnfinite ignorance I have to ask. The stub shaft would be just the section from the CV joint outboard. The reason I ask is I have heard the small shaft between the two joints called the stub shaft as well. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, the piece that fits inside the hub. I've only ever heard of the "short" piece being called a stub shaft. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Commonly a "stub-shaft" is any shaft that is short and stuby (I.E the name Stub-shaft /forums/images/icons/smile.gif )There are several "stub-shafts" used on a car, the one Harry is refering to is the section the portrudes through the center of the hub.

A "half-shaft" is the shaft that is half-way between the diff-houseing and the steering knuckle.(what your thinking of)

You CAN-NOT drive with the "stub-shaft" removed, as the stub-shaft holds the wheel bearings togather (don't ask how I know this /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif ), I would think it would be a major pain to remove the stub shaft from the half-shaft as they are a single assembly. It would require dissasssembly of the outer C/V joint.

I have my doubts about the "Half-Shaft" being the first part to go. I have heard stories of them "breaking" -
    mostly from people who are stongly against the IFS systems to begin with, and are looking for something to "point a finger at".
    I have seen, first-hand, thousands of IFS trucks used and abused big-time, and have never seen one with a broken half-shaft. Never

6. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

you can still drive on it if you leave the piece in the hub, but that requires you to disassemble the CV joint. of course, unbolt the half shaft from the flange, then tear apart the shaft at the joint. of course, you just ate the core charge on a new one if you do this /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

7. Mudrock

That is what I thought. I just did not want to learn first hand like Twiztid did, why you could not drive without the shaft installed. I guess I would rather eat the core charge on the shaft then have something flopping around under there. As far as reliability goes I have never seen one break either. I guess I am just covering my bases.
    Thanks for the advice! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif