Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

If anyone is interested in making your rig quiet inside...

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by shane74, Jul 2, 2004.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

use this stuff. Holy smokes does it work!!
    Quiet Coat

The best part is that the recommended method is with an airless sprayer (like you'd use for residental painting). My boss had his his car done (97 'vette) and the improvement is amazing /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Before when we'd ride in it, it was almost as loud inside as my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif with swampers and no interior. Now you can whisper to each other and hear it. And...the stereo sounds like a friggin' concert hall! I'd say there was at least a 90% reduction in interior noise. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I am going to spray the inside of my top and the whole inside of the floor with this stuff. It'll cost me approx. $250 for the paint, but I am hoping to have one of the most quiet '74 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif on the road when I am done. I already have an airless sprayer, so I am hoping to get this done within the next month or so. If it works wonders on my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif, I'll prolly do my /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif too. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

does it look like you could Rhinocoat or whatever over the top?

i'm concerned about roadnoise when i ditch my carpet, that may be the ticket... thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    does it look like you could Rhinocoat or whatever over the top?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'm sure you could. They are both a polymeric elastomer, so they should bond to each other like glue /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Good info /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thanks for the tip....post up when you get your blazer done with results /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i would like some info on the results too please,
    dale /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

annything yet?

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    annything yet?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Nope still waiting on time /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    I am hoping to get this done within the next month or so

[/ QUOTE ] It'll be at least that long due to my work schedule.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

hmmm... i want my s-10 cab to be quiet inside... maybe I'll use this stuff in combination with the Line-X. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif how much is it per gallon? any idea how many sq ft a gallon covers? the 10 cab aint to big... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

It's about $60 per gallon. 1 gallon would prolly do an s-10 cab.

10. jekbrown

wow, not bad at all! thanks for the skinny on this chit... Im gonna have to boomark their site. Who knows how many months it will be before I'm ready for finishing work on the s-10 cab, but unless something better comes along, I'll prolly use this stuff. I see that you save some $ if you buy it in the 5 gallon container ($47.xx per gallon vs $59.99) so maybe I'll "go in" on the 5 gallon with another ck5'er to save some $$$. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

11. jekbrown

oh btw, I was checking the web for prices and/or competing products and found this stuff...

edead v3.0

$51.50 per gallon, not bad! No idea if it works as well though, peeps on car audio pages seem to like it. Only thing is, it says not to use it in an engine compartment or as an undercoating.

Not sure if I'd want to coat the inside under the Line-X with some kind of sound deadening poop, or just use a type that works as an undercoating and use it there instead. hmmm...

j

12. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

My boss has an extra 5 gallon bucket he's not going to use. I'll see if he'll make a killer deal /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif on it for us. Maybe go in together? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

13. jekbrown

sure, Im down with that, lemme know what he says! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

14. pops83k5

pops83k5 Registered Member

I was told NOT to use solvent based top coat on top of QuietCar as it will probably crack it and muck it up. Problem is they can't tell me what top coat to use!! Anybody done this and then used spray adhesive to lay down insulation/carpet directly on top of QuietCar or eDead? Does the adhesive solvent muck it up or did you first top coat QuietCar? It is too much $$ and effort to do this to get crap results. Details, details......

15. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Weird. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I was told by the Quiet Car tech support folks that it can be painted over, Rhino Lined, sealed, etc. w/ no problems. I tend to belive them because it is used on all sorts of applications that are coated and then painted with industrial epoxy paints (i.e. military ships, tractor trailers, etc.) I plan on coating my rig and then shooting a liner over it. I am going to Quiet Coat the tub and the inside of my top. I want it quiet and durable. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif If it works as well as I hope it will, I'll do my /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif too. Dunno what to tell you /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

16. pops83k5

when in doubt - experiment. I'll have to try it on something like the inside of the access panel on the tailgate where it won't be a big deal if it cracks up. I'll put down the quietcoat or edead and then try a couple of different topcoats - one solvent and one water based. but i've got bumpers to install now so it will be a while - let me know how it turns out if you go ahead with it.

17. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

My curiosity is way up now too. I'll probably do the same thing as you. Do some test patches. If I can talk Quiet Coat into it, I'll see if they can send me some samples of their stuff with a top coat over it. I know my boss's 'vette has this stuff inside the cab and in the fender wells. Then they painted over the Quiet Coat on the fender wells because it's a soft rubbery material that will chip and flake if it gets impacted too hard. I'll ask him to see how it's holding up. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

18. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

I have 3 gallons of it on the way, ordered it sunday. I'm plannin on doing the cab and top, then probably fenderwells if i have any left I'm plannin on layin it thick. Then since ive already spent 200 bucks on that I gotta cheap out and use duplicolor bedliner from O'Reilly's...

19. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Let us know how it works out! I'm really curious to see what happens. I know it's a rubbery material when it drys so I'll be curious to see how a hard material shot over it does. I too plan on laying it on pretty thick!

20. pops83k5

I finally got a response out of QuietCoat that suggested I spray a fast drying (minute or two) clear coat on top of their stuff and it will be ok. No other specifics. I asked about water-based ployurethane but they ignored that part of the ? Still waiting to hear from the eDead people. I would be leary of laying on a solvent laden top coat that could penetrate straight down to the metal and lift their coating right off or destroy its noise deadening elasticity...... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif