Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

If I can't fix it I'm going to shoot it.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by OhioJimmy, Aug 23, 2000.

1. OhioJimmy

OhioJimmy Registered Member

If I can\'t fix it I\'m going to shoot it.

I'm having a problem that has me stumped, The more throttle I apply to the engine the worse it bogs down, I have more power at half throttle than full. Also when I start it in the mornings it runs great, high idle works fine its just when i actually apply the gas it sputters coughs spits and complains. it does this warm engine or cold. I think its in the carb, what do you guys think. 86 Jimmy 305 quadrajet, 700r4. I have replaced cap, rotor, plugs, wires, fuel filter, air cleaner, pcv valve, two cans of carb cleaner, stp fuel system cleaner,high octane 90, wished, prayed, and waxed it because I thought it might be mad at me. Please help, what am I overlooking.

When the mud gets deep and the hills get steep we'll find out who bought the parts that were cheap.

2. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Re: If I can\'t fix it I\'m going to shoot it.

Could be the fuel pump or a restriction in the carb jets. Maybe leaking accelerator pump?

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It sounds to me that your engine is starving for fuel.[​IMG]. Have you checked the fuel pump? Try and remove the fuel line from the carb, get a container and have someone crank the engine for you to see what kind of volume you're getting. Oh yeah disconnect the power to the ignition so it does'nt start first. If its not getting enough fuel the more you open it up the leaner it will get.

[​IMG]

4. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)

Hate to break it to you, but you may have done yourself in with that fuel system cleaner. That crap is great at cleaning your gas tank out, but guess where it gos after your gas tank. Strait into your carb. Ok, maybee the fuel filter will get alot of it out, but it does not take much to gunk up a carb these days. If I were you, I would check the fuel pump first, and if that is all good you may want to rebuild your carb. It is not too difficult, but it takes a long time. Also, make sure and use an acid bath of some sort. Then rinse it in water and blow dry it with compressed air. It will run like a new carb when you put it back together.

78 K-5

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well 2 possible problems. 1st being that the Choke is not fully opening. Thats an easy fix. Either the linkages are gummed up or the thermostatice deal on the side is failing.
    I'm going to assume you put a new $1 fuel filter in.
    The second problem is you should have the POS electric mix control carb. Those things are notorious for screwing up. If you don't find it's the choke fins a carb from like a 79. it doesn't have the electric BS and it has the correct vacume ports to run you smog gear. It can easily be converted to electric choke by swaping the element off the old carb.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

6. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

7. OhioJimmy

OhioJimmy Registered Member

Yes I actually just timed it today and it was on the money, checked the fuel pump and it pumps like crazy, choke is open, so I guess I'm due for a rebuild. Thanks for all your help guys I'll let you know how it turns out.

When the mud gets deep and the hills get steep we'll find out who bought the parts that were cheap.

8. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

I had the exact same problem, it was two fold. Funk in the gas tank and a bad catalytic convertor. When I'd get up to highway speed it would die due to the crud in the tank, and it bogged whenever I applied the gas due to a melted catalytic convertor. I pulled and cleaned the tank, then disconnected the exhaust ahead of the cat. Runs like a scalded dog now.

"who dares wins"

9. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Hey Ohiojimmy if you do decide to shoot it can I join you? and I'll let you shoot my differential it's dying anyway just for fun good luck man.

check out my new site, thanks Steve!
    http://chaka73.coloradok5.com

10. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

hey OhioJimmy,
    my '86 305 Jimmy is doin' the EXACT same thing, has me stumped too. she's goin' to the shop next week to figure this one out....
    HAYDUKE

Insured By COLT, Policy #.357M

http://haydukesk5.coloradok5.com