Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

If I die tomorrow...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by B_to_C, Feb 27, 2004.

1. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

...I just wanted to thank everybody on here for their advice etc. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Why might I die tomorrow?

-For a while now my passengers have been making comments like "Nick, why does your truck smell like gas?". I've always replied with something to the affect of "It's just a old truck thing." Well last week I found out it wasn't. As I was cutting off my inner rockers (sparks flying everywhere) I notice a little puff of smoke come off my exhaust... Turns out the fuel line the goes from the TB to the hard line on the frame rail (steel flex line) has rotted out and sprung one hell of a leak. So not only is my gas line leaking, but it drips directly onto the exhaust. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    I also figured out that this part "never fails" and has to be special orderedform the stealership at $120 a pop. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif B"ut then I figured, if this part "never fails" i can just go to a junkyard and get it for like $25, think that would be safe? As it is, i don't ahve enough money for the new part, so it's either do it this way, or drive around for at least two more weeks like this until I get paid again (with a paycheck that may or may not be enough to cover the new part). I hate being poor. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

Check the replacement for cracking by flexing it. If you see no signs of cracking, you should be OK.

Oh, and let me jump on the bandwagon, here, and say "Thanks" to everyone here for their advice, criticism, and help. This site ROCKS

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Can you run soft fuel line from the hardline on the frame rail the the TB? I used fuel injection rated soft line for some connections on my fuel injection swap. Just use fuel injection rated line ($5 per foot /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif) and fuel injection hose clamps.

I am not sure how your fuel line hooks into your TB but I used conversion fittings on my fuel rail to convert the Saginaw style fittings GM uses to AN fittings. Then I used an AN fitting that ends in a barb for soft line. Total cost for the fitting was $15 or so and $5 per foot for fuel line. Cheaper then GM but still not cheap. I am not sure why I am trying to help a Dirty Hippie though /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif.

I said I'm proud to be a CSU Ram /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Harley

P.S. Just kidding on the dirty hippie thing. but the Rams are the my team. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    ...or drive around for at least two more weeks like this

[/ QUOTE ].

Ummm...Heck no! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Get it fixed. You probably have several options, too. You may not have to replace it with exactly what is there. FI rubber line may work. Junkyards are good. You can also check with local shops that build brake/hydraulic/fuel lines. You might be able to show them the old one and get one built for less than dealer cost. You can also get a discount on the GM part at GM parts direct . They charge 60% of dealer retail + shipping, but you will probably need the part number.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

How long are those lines? Just about any fuel injected vehicle from GM has some sort of flexible line from the fuel rails/TB to the hard line, and also at the tank.

I've got ones from a Camaro on mine, but I grabbed another set about 2" longer from a 90's Grand Prix just to have. I wouldn't worry about used GM lines too much, as people told you "they never go bad", just sounds like you had one that did. Probably 1 in a million that they will fail, you just happened to be the one. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Look on the bright side... Once you repair the leak you should notice quite an increase in fuel mileage! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Look on the bright side... Once you repair the leak you should notice quite an increase in fuel mileage! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus your truck might not explode when you're sitting at a stop light /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

That'd be quite a sight /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif