Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

If I wanted to Weld(make) my own bumper, how much would it $$??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakeslim, Mar 2, 2004.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

What would I need to buy to make it happen. I am thinking something similar to 4x4 irons classic tube bumper. What does the cheapest welder I would need to make this cost? What about materials.

I do not know how to weld, but I am a quick study or will die trying.

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Yeah! Any info this subject would be great! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif to the welding guru's!
    Bill

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

a decent mig welder that will weld 1/4" is about 500 plus you need a argon tank and gas. then you need to buy the steel with can be about $40.

if you want to stick weld then an lincoln ac220 is about 250.

a mig is very easy to learn a stick is quite hard to get to look good

4. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Man I need to buy steel where you do. $80-85 would be closer to the steel costs. You might get the tube itself for $40, but you need more steel than just that.

We offer our bumpers as kits so you have all the parts you need and they are all precut.

You could learn to weld it in a couple of weekends of practice.

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i just guessed on the price of the steel. i priced out 12" c channel 16 foot long and it was 85 bucks last year /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I will be building bumpers soon (I have local orders from friends piling up) just need my chop saw to arrive. I'm just building a ladder style bumper tapered at each end with 2 recovery points and a hitch receiver. Will be using about 16' of 2" square tubing ($67 at the local surplus steel store) and various bits and pieces I have laying around. I'm using a 180a stick welder older than I am. I love my stick welder. It was pretty easy for me personally to learn. I actually had more trouble learning on the MIG welder after arc welding for 5 years. Whichever you choose I would practice making some less crucial parts before doing a bumper. All you need is 1 weld with insufficient penetration during a recovery to send shrapnel flying.

7. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Yea,
    a year ago the Chinese had not taken every piece of scrap iron off of the world market. Steel prices are up over 40% in the last 3 months and are going up for the immediate future. Rebar is up 100% since December, it is nuts.
    If you went to buy steel today you would go /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

8. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

There is a local salvage that is crushing cars because he can make more $ by selling the scrap than he can parting it out. The Chinese are paying $200 a ton for scrap! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

9. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Tell me about it. We use about 40 tons of steel in each unit at work. I've got about a 1/2 ton sittin' under the car port. I sell it for the first $500 /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

John