Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

IF IT ISN'T ONE THING ITS ANOTHER!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TheBlazerKid, Dec 12, 2000.

1. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

IF IT ISN\'T ONE THING ITS ANOTHER!

As some of you may know I put a dent in teh side of my blazer last weekend, after finally realising that sh!t happens and its no biggie...I pull into my driveway and theres smoke rolling from my left side brake drum on back. DAMN IT so I pull the wheel and drum to find that the brake was stuck...so now I need new brake shoes!, but this is only the beginning of my tail of woe. I see that the axleshaft is sitting weird. So i wiglge it and theres about 1"!!! of play either way....outer axle pearings are shot!....so I oull the diff cover so see what caseud this....the oil is FULL of dirt and water and crap!!..the pinion bearings are shot too!!.then i see teh front and rear universals are bad!!!!! DAMN DAMN DAMN......so I go to pull the axleshafts to see if it wore through the bearings and into the shafts. and teh little bolt that holds them in place is BROKEN OFF inside the differential!!!!!! but thats not all!!!! the vent hose broke off the housing and caused all that crap to get in there!.....so I'm without my blazre for at least a week and it started snowing today!!

Well I've just wrote a novel on my bad luck but i had to vent,
    Later all
    Nathan Anderson

P.S. think it would be cheaper to get all the stuff to fix it or throw a 14 bolt FF under there?!?!

Theres No Replacement for Cubic Inches!

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: IF IT ISN\'T ONE THING ITS ANOTHER!

see if you can find a 14 ff that would probably be cheaper lol sorry man that is some bad luck

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Dont be stupid, get the 14 bolt! It might or might not be cheaper than fixing your 1/2 ton garbage now, but when that stuff breaks again in a few months, you'll wish you did! Get one from a 1 ton p/u, the perches line up. All you need is the hybrid u-joint, and degree shims because the pinion angle will be off slightly. Then get a matching front from a 73-78 3/4 ton (take the u-bolts if you can, the tubes on the later fronts are larger), grind the calipers and get some 15" wheels. If those axles are that screwed up, its going to cost a fortune to fix them. </font color=blue>

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The 14 bolt is the best fix, if you can also afford new wheels. Otherwise an entire rear end from a junkyard will be cheaper than buying all the pieces individually. Just make sure you get the same gear ratio, to match the front.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com