Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

if it was a snake.......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5dreamer, Aug 17, 2006.

1. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

Hey all, lookin for some advice. Ive been lookin for a convertable blazer for a long time, come to find one for sale by a co-worker.

Its a 1972, with a 307 V8, 4wd, 3speed auto, hardtop with roof rack.

The plusses are that it has a brand new exhaust from heads to tailpipe, a new 307 V8, and has already had the front disk conversion done.

(by the way, anyone know how much that disk brake conversion is worth roughly?)

The negatives are that the power steering pump is leaking quite badley. and will need to be replaced, is there any chance that a pump from a 1989 camaro will work? ive got one on a shelf.

and of course the rust. the tailgait has some spots that can probly be ground down and salvaged, however the quarter panels and door skins will most likely need to be replaced. it looks good now, but after this coming winter im pretty sure it will be pretty bad.

i havent had a chance to drive it, but with the once over with it parked in a lot, it seemed pretty solid except for the body panels. and it looks great at the 20/20 angle (20 feet away at 20 mph) and it also passes va state inspection.

an exact price hasnt been set, but hes getting married and wants to let it go, and the rough number thats been tossed around is about $4000-$6000.

its pretty unmolested, and has been in his family sense it was bought in '72. i think this is a great deal, but would definatly appriciate any words of caution or tips on what to look for with this year truck. my brother bought a 73 bronco (and was burned on the deal) and ill be taking him with me as my voice of reason.

anyway, thanks so much for any advice or answers you can offer.

2. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Leaking power steering pump... whoa, stay away from that. In fact I'll just buy that k5 myself so you don't do anything stupid.... Seriously, First gen K5's prices are gonna only go up. 4 to 6 grand and it aint beat?

Get it now or someone will.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

hmmm..

If a 72 K5 thats kinda rusty brings 4-6000 bucks, screwed myself out of about 10 grand when I sold the three I had years ago!:doah: (had a 71 CST,a 72 K5,and a 71 K10 suburban 3 door!)..all had been patched up with repair panels,but were still decent trucks..wish I stashed them away instead of selling them now!..:(

I'd say the price sounds high,but with the way those first generation Blazers are going,I guess rarity overides the rust issues (to a point anyway)..just be aware you may not recoup what you paid for it after its all restored..very few vehicles that are not "rust free" bring good money at resale time,despite being properly "patched"..most people want "mint" rust free sheet metal if they are paying big bucks....

A 72 K5 should have had front disc brakes from the factory--71 was the first year for disc brakes from the factory!..only 69-70 Blazers had drums up front..the 307 isn't a bad motor,but don't have gobs of low end torque thanks to a short stroke,but they do get decent gas mileage..many ate cam lobes at low mileage, for some reason the 307 and 305's did that the most..

The rest of those trucks are rugged..the TH350 is a decent tranny,as long as you run a large cooler on them,they hold up pretty well..the NP205 T-case is about as indestructo as you can get factory...--the axles are still the usual weak 1/2 ton ones,though the rear is a 12 bolt..not much better than a 10 bolt really,but are sufficient for stock tires,or ones up to 33-35" ...:crazy:

4. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

leaking power steering pump is no big deal, in my experience. my k5 pump keeps my leaf springs nice and lubed. ha. but fluid isn't very expensive, and power steering is a luxury, not a necessity, so just eat your wheaties so when it dies on you, offroad, you can take that belt off and muscle the truck around for the rest of the day. been there with my 82.

the rust is what would bug me more. but, we texas guys are a little spoiled in that way. my pickup is a 1994 and has absolutely no body panel rust and very little frame surface rust. don't hate me 'cause it's beautiful. :D

5. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i love texas my 77 is rust FREE! bought new in san antonio, still in san antonio, no sheet you guys, the origional spare tire still holds air.

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

JUMP!

I think you've crossed into the metric fittings era pumps & boxes with that Camaro part.

7. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

Good to know about the front disks coming from the factory, im trying to work out a fair price and didnt want to give him a few hundred bucks credit for that.

also a good point on the power steering pump from the camaro probly having metric fittings, ill have to check on that.

Im also looking at the price going up, my brothers bronco has been seeing that same effect. But im really not interested in selling it. I definatly plan on buying it to keep it.

the 307 isnt exacty a screamer to be sure. but im building up a TBI 305 with the GMPP cam from the HT383, vortec heads, and headers. and ill swap that in with a 4x4 700R4 overdrive tranny, 4in lift and 35in tires and call it a day. maybe down the road ill look at rhino lining the tub and undercarrage to keep the rust at bay.

Ive got a totalled 1989 Camaro RS as a parts doner for the drivetrain. I was also a GM driveability and electrical tech so swapping over the computer and doing up a harness shouldnt be that hard.

Im guessing ill have to modify the tranny mount, and im not sure about the 4x4 700R4 housing bolting up to the stock transfer case, and i might have some driveshaft length issues. anyone know any specific problems to watch out for with that swap?

8. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

The 307s I have seen were worthless.

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Yea, but that's fairly easily curable. Rust OTOH is a PITA!