Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

If it's not completely stainless steel then don't call it stainless steel!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MudFrog, Sep 18, 2003.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

If it\'s not completely stainless steel then don\'t call it stainless steel!

Just ranting because my stainless steel brake hoses that I purchased from TSM for my rear disc brakes are now discolored and very rusty. This really pisses me off, I would have bought the cheap rubber lines if I knew this would happen. I sent them an email but something tells me they will not replace them. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Re: If it\'s not completely stainless steel then don\'t call it stainless steel!

some grades of stainless can rust a little.... depending on what they're exposed to.

Marv

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Re: If it\'s not completely stainless steel then don\'t call it stainless steel!

This is to the point where it is brown.

4. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    This is to the point where it is brown.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah... well ... then you're prolly right... /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

Marv

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

u live near the ocean? salt water can corrode stainless.... eventually. I agree that the manufacturer is full of poop in this case tho. Sad thing is, even if they did replace them for free... would you really want them on your truck?

as a side note, i run stainless lines from Procomp/4wpw and they look as nice as the day I installed them. If ya want stainless, you might try them...

j

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Every grade of stainless can rust eventually. Every Ford Ranger pickup comes with stainless exhaust from cat back. Mine sure as hell is rusty for being stainless.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i think "eventually" is the key.. i mean a really high quality stainless part (that isnt part of the exhaust system) on a rig in arizona is prolly going to last longer than the owner. It'll rust eventually I guess... but the owner prolly wont care to much. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Also, a lot of times when stainless corrodes, its only a very small amount right on the surface. Sure it looks like poop... but structurally the part/object is still entirely servicable.

all of that said, rapidly rusting stainless brake lines are just BS... and tsm oughta give ya some new ones or you should be able to get a refund or something.

j

8. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

yea GOOD stainless takes a LONG time to rust out I have some hoses from skyjacker that have clear ruber over the stainless there really nice and have lasted well... and I have AZ Kickens SS hose kit for the disk and those are nice too and I even have a superlift rear line that the line seems alright but I would HIGHLY recomend not going with a superlift brake hose

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    i think "eventually" is the key.. i mean a really high quality stainless part (that isnt part of the exhaust system) on a rig in arizona is prolly going to last longer than the owner. It'll rust eventually I guess... but the owner prolly wont care to much. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Also, a lot of times when stainless corrodes, its only a very small amount right on the surface. Sure it looks like poop... but structurally the part/object is still entirely servicable.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I meant. The tailpipe is still ROCK solid and will remain that way for a long time. Hell, the rust could probably be polished off. It's just only going to last so long.

I agree though, in Arizona, it should last forever. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I have the proComp steel braided brake lines front and rear on for 4 years now. Not a hint of rust. They are still the same color (cept for trail dust) that they were when I bought them. I live about 10 blocks from the ocean.

11. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

They replied to my email and told me the ends are only plated and I could buy a new set from them for $19 a piece. This is some major crap.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Wow, screw that. I'd tell them to shove them. Too bad they don't know how bad they screwed themselves with this being posted here.

13. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Re: If it\'s not completely stainless steel then don\'t call it stainless ste

Is it the braid that's rusted or discolored, or the end fittings ?

Nearly all of the end fittings are carbon steel that's been cadmium plated. Some plating is better than others and you usually directly get what you pay for. It costs more to do a consistant, quality plating job.

Some S.S. alloys (409 comes to mind) discolor and turn brown with heat and/or oxidation. 409 is what Edelbrock and most OE's make their stainless exhaust parts from. IF you don't want discolored exhaust you need to step up & buy parts made from 304 or 308. Even those will discolor if they are used in a turbo exhaust manifold.

Stainless on stainless has a huge galling problem if the alloys used aren't selected with care. Witness the early stainless autoloading pistols. Their slides & frames made from very similar if not the same alloys and would seize up. For them not to seize one of the mating parts needs to be made from a high carbon stainless alloy. High carbon alloys rust. I've seen stainless Mini-14's with rust PITS in them. (Shark blood, like all blood, is very corrosive.)
    The need for dissimilar alloys is why you don't commonly see stainless hose ends and fittings. Same alloy fittings would seize in the threads if a special lubricant isn't used. That lubricant would be bad if it got into the brake system since it's petroleum based.