If its not one thing it another! (rant)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sandman, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Apr 15, 2002
    It all started when I decided to do crossover steering. My buddy decided to do it at the same time I did. I order two arms and get a high steer setup instead. What the hell I thought, I'll do it too. So into the garage it goes. I also have a bumper from 4x4iron on order so I figure I'll do it at the same time. I then get talked into doing a home brew hydraulic assist setup. OK. Since its all torn apart I've always wanted to move the axle forward. Well If I have that all apart I should take off the superlift stiff springs and put on some soft TC springs. If I'm doing that, then a heavy duty shackle upgrade should be done since I am there also. After stripping some of the stuff of I realize that now would be a great time to put on the Ford shock towers and take care of the longer shock problem. Well, ok. I take everything off including the old shock brackets on the frame and find that even with a steering box brace, the frame is cracked. Aaaargghhh! I hope I can get all this done by spring. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
  2. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Nov 16, 2001
    well, look on the bright side /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

you were already doing all the mods to it when you found the crack, and hopefully you found it in time before it got real bad /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

still sucks though /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
  3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Jul 23, 2000
    Geez does that sound familiar. I started looking for shorty headers for my 350 so i could get a single exhuast system bent up. I needed the room down one side so I could install the A-tron anti wrap bar. While looking in the local paper I found a great deal on a complete 6.2 diesel and after checking it out I bought it. (might as well do exhaust just once.../forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif)

Once the 350 was out we figured it would be much easier to just pull the front clip off. Then I ran into a good deal on an uncracked 465 to 205 adaptor...out comes the tranny and T-case/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Tranny and T-case cleaned and dis-assembled then put back together with new adaptor and painted. It was this far apart anyways so in went the D60 front, moved it forwards etc etc.

Then I thought I'd check my frame...repaired one crack in the crossmemeber and ended up having to install the weld in repair kit. The steering box brace is getting shipped from Howling off-road on Friday/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Somewhere along the way it was decided we could really use a parts donor truck for the diesel conversion...which led to swapping my AC heater/controls and the complete under dash wiring and engine bay wiring for the non AC box and all the wiring off the donor.

Next I figure the truck is just sitting there and I have these rear disc brake brackets so on they go...as well as the anti-wrap bar./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Did I mention the hydro boost that went on? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

All because I wanted single exhaust...(there's more but my typing finger is getting a cramp /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

My friend who is helping me mentioned that with less than 4 hours work we could have just removed the body and done a frame up build...